Battery Management systems

Rate this topic

Fredsvt

Can someone please answer for me of the following vehicles which have BMS with load shedding capability?  The following trucks they wish to have these things. 

2013 F150 5.0

2014 F550 6.7

2013 F250 6.2

2011 F250 6.2

I looked and looked on PTS, and only the 2011-2013 F150, from what I can tell definitely has it.

A local fleet wants to run large inverters, 3500 to 5500 watt to run various different tools when on site.  Their typcial 1/2 drill will pull a max of 150 amps from the battery, already over taxing the generator on gas engined trucks.  They routinely fry batteries and alternators on older (pre '08) trucks with inverters installed.

I run a 2 gauge positve cable with a 300 amp maxifuse to the inverter, and ground is same size, from inverter to frame.

If the battery is drawn down even with the engine running, will load shedding take place? 

Thanks for any assistance.

What about the possibility of installing a third deep cycle battery and a battery isolator/separator to supply power the inverter and take some of the load off the primary batteries and maybe ease up on the alternator since it wont monitor the high demand from the extra battery. Or look up a company of Mechman alternators, I installed a 320 amp unit in a Dodge pickup for a guy who is planning on installing a big sound system this summer, and he's adding 5 or 6 extra batteries to supply the power he is wanting to push. They come with a 2 year warranty, which is about as good as any other unit out there, but theres a price that will be paid for a high output unit.

What about the possibility of installing a third deep cycle battery and a battery isolator/separator to supply power the inverter and take some of the load off the primary batteries and maybe ease up on the alternator since it wont monitor the high demand from the extra battery. Or look up a company of Mechman alternators, I installed a 320 amp unit in a Dodge pickup for a guy who is planning on installing a big sound system this summer, and he's adding 5 or 6 extra batteries to supply the power he is wanting to push. They come with a 2 year warranty, which is about as good as any other unit out there, but theres a price that will be paid for a high output unit.

I gave them that option on the F150, a second battery with isolator, and they want it done "as inexpensively" as possible. 

Their fleet management company won't pay for inverter install or anything aftermarket.  They have to cut checks for this.  I've told their guy when you play with the big boys....

The high output alternator option, I'll look into it, and see what they say.

• 2 weeks later...