Focus trans goes in wrong direction

Rate this topic

We've got a weird one in the shop right now.  Another tech replaced a clutch in a Focus and did the reprogramming and adaptive strategy for the transmission, but if he puts the transmission in reverse, the vehicle moves forward.  If he puts it in drive the vehicle goes in reverse. 

He replaced the clutch again, re-did the adaptive strategy and it was fixed.  Until he disconnected the battery, now it's doing the same thing.  Has anyone heard of anything like this before?

For the record I think it's something in the trans.  Maybe something was broken and when he turned the trans on it's side to replace the clutch maybe something came loose.  Maybe it's something he did; I was just wondering if anyone's seen this happen before.

I know it sounds crazy as hell. Can you imagine a customer going out to their Focus, putting it in reverse and the thing moves forward? I can't wait to see what the cause of this problem is. I'm afraid to get too far involved in it because I can totally see management having me take over on the job. I've already had to fix one of these transmissions that another 'tech' had apart.

Well it turns out the shift forks were reversed.  Apparently every time the trans was out the throwout bearing was broken too.  This I think was a clue that would have been worth taking a closer look at.  :facepalm:

Evidently this isn't that hard to do. I just told my trans guy about it and the same thing happened to him but he caught it before going any further. He has done a shit ton of these things and someone distracted him and batta bing batta boom.

Me too, 've had maybe ten of these thing out and removed the clutch. I use each paint pen to mark the shift forks and the actuators. I actually mark the bell housing bolts too because they're different lengths.