Powertrain Prior Approval

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

Evidently it has been quite some time since I got prior approval for an engine assembly. I seriously don't remember jumping through so many hoops.

Friday a '14 Mustang with 5000 miles came in with a crank no start and customer said engine was noisy when it was running. A quick run down and I found the left exhaust cam locked up (3.7L). I pulled the engine Saturday afternoon, and filled out a hotline report requesting an assembly line unit due to it being a current model year. I came in this morning and I was advised that I could long block it. I promptly removed the left head to ensure the piston to valve contact was as bad as I made out on the hotline report when viewed with our boroscope. Next its on to the cost cap, bam! no problem. Then its on to prior approval and the brakes on my paper train were applied with extreme pressure. The form wanted mandatory pictures.

I had to go back to the engine and remove the pan and a main bearing cap. Then I had to cut the oil filter open and splay out the element for pics. This was all new for me and just loads of fun. They must have liked my photos cause I got my prior approval code within the hour and then it was off to my stellar parts department for more hoops to jump through (think of the whole thing as an episode of "American Ninja Warrior").

Ah such is the life of a dealer tech.

Yeah I noticed this in the last year but I personally have never needed pictures for an engine approval. I have a van waiting to come in which is rumbling from the bottom end and probably has wiped out cams - as usual. I am sure this time I will need to take pics this time as well.

It pays just a touch more

Engine Exchange Diagnosis (06009/ 6006/ 6007/ 6012)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image6007EPosted ImagePosted Image 0.7 hrs
Posted Image
Posted Image

Includes checking all fluids and visual inspection of cooling system, air intake system, exhaust system, pcv system, and the engine for external damage, missing parts, external leaks, modifications, and evaluate any abnormal noise using a stethoscope or equivalent, and any unusual exhaust smoke. Includes time to contact hotline and complete online forms.

And there is

Inspect and Determine Engine Condition (06009/ 6006/ 6007/ 6012/ 6675) - Check
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image6007E1 0.9 hrs
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Includes time to remove a valve cover and oil pan in order to inspect for damage. Claim with 6007A if engine must be removed in order to remove oil pan

You can also claim PRIOR for .3 any time you need approval. Except for ESP claims, which require more time and you get less.

Have a truck on with P2043 for the DEF heater which despite there being a TSB we need to get prior approval for it. When responding to the question of why is the component being relaced I simply stated "because TSB X told me to". I was expecting to have to answer more questions or diagnostics to which I was planning to reply "the TSB does not require or authorize any diagnosis". <sigh> they let me down and approved

Can I claim prior approval with this TSB?

Indeed you can

Component Replacement (07000/ 10B689/ 10B706/ 10B759/ 14B227/ 14B280/ 19G424/ 5H221/ 5H270/ 5J225/ 5J229/ 6006/ 6007/ 7B012/ 7D323/ 8009/ 9A543/ 9E527) - Prior Approval Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePRIORPosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image 0.3 Posted Image Includes time to contact hotline and complete online forms. This operation is to be used only for dealerships that require prior approval. Posted Image   Posted Image  

Oops, I just remembered you said T-S-B.

But I don't remember seeing this in the fine print before:

IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB

So I say go for it and flag it.

Watch out-TSB's will state at the bottom-Do not use with any other SLT's. They also say it includes time to get approval when needed.