Time to r&i engine

Rate this topic

Got a truck that blew n egr cooler, by the time it came to me its got 6 cylinders with little or no compression. Gave customer his options( complete, long block). He decided was to expensive n wants to go with used engine he found. I currently dont have a lift since we do 75% heavy truck work, so its gotta come out without lifting the cab. Wondering what u guys are charging timewise to do this job? Thanks for the input, tips also appreciated

Complete engine remove and install is 18 hours. Engine assembly(complete) remove and replace is 23 hours. Once you open up the front of the truck, getting the engine out is easy. Remove the turbo, intake and up pipes and she comes right out.

Remove the turbo, intake and up pipes and she comes right out.

Or, jack up the front of the cab by 4 inches (like you would a 6.4), and the engine will come out and go back in with the turbo and pipes in place.

Remove the turbo, intake and up pipes and she comes right out.

Or, jack up the front of the cab by 4 inches (like you would a 6.4), and the engine will come out and go back in with the turbo and pipes in place.

I've never done that pulling a 6L. I have never had access to the fancy, bolt to the front, crane adapter, so I always lifted the engine using the turbo pedistal mounting holes. Most jobs that required me to pull the engine also required intake removal anyways.

Its n automatic. So u guys leave the trans in place n just pull the engine? So if i quote 25 hours to r&i n say 5 hours to check out his used engine n transfer egr & oil cooler sounds fair to both of us?

That is correct, auto trans stays in. The reason you pull a ZF6 is because the clutch won't exit the bellhousing before the oil pan hits the crossmember.