Turbo Failure

Rate this topic

Is shaft separation a typical failure of tuned 6.0's?  I have an Excursion in here that was towing a 26' boat while on level 3 of his edge tuner, turbine wheel no longer connected to the compressor wheel.  I am going to tune the PCM back to stock before it leaves, just wondered if anyone else sees this on a regular basis or anything like that.

Not a typical failure.  If it was EGT related it's likely the turbine or vanes started to melt throwing the rotating assembly off balance. If the customer wants to run tuned and tow at the same time an EGT gauge is a must, there is no way around this.  You cannot sustain 1200-1300°F temps for several minutes without risking damage in a 6.0.  I personally would tow on stock tuning and stock tuning alone.  It may feel powerless but it is the only safe way. 

The VGT turbo is naturally going to produce higher EGTs due to the restriction (EBP) from the vanes, the turbines are made with thicker blades than a non-VGT turbo to sustain higher temps but there is still a such thing as too hot.  I have run across a few melted turbines, all trucks were overheated.