Engine idle only and PCM replacement

Rate this topic

Well I have my first one. G400 was not attached correctly by the body builder and the truck set 5 reductant related faults. Of course they just kept driving it until it simply wouldn't drive anymore and towed it in. 2k miles on the clock and we have a pretty expensive brick sitting here.

Have you guys had any of these? I cannot get this truck to do anything but idle even though all the faults are corrected. I see PCM replacement in my near future but I also see its on backorder, wonder why? I can't believe no one has figured out how to blank these PCMs.

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't have a PCM for this truck. The company that owns it also owns roughy 4000 super duties all up and down east coast. The manufacturer is authorized to direct ship me one when they become available.

Tried everything I could think of on this PCM. Somehow we need a way to blank these things. Even putting in as built does nothing because as soon as its plugged into the truck it recognizes it.

I've been off the floor for far too long to be much in the way of any real help but, all things considered, I'd want to be sure that this isn't a situation that is being commanded. I assume hotline is coming up blank? Everything is nominal at KOEO and no sensors are making shit up?

Good luck with this one, Matt.

All systems pass on this truck.  It's not pending any DTCs after the fix or exhibiting any other concerns that I can see.  I did try raising the idle to 2000 RPM and letting all my EGTs get to 300°F.  It did not do anything.  I drove it in circles around the lot, nothing.  It will go a max speed of 5 mph.

I had a 2012 F-350 today that said "speed reduced to 50mph in 34 miles, exhaust fluid fault".  After a couple EGT sensors and a reprogram I did the exact same thing in the parking lot, let my EGTs increase to 300 with no other faults present and it cleared itself out.  Drive cycled it, all passed. 

From what I gather (and there is an SSM) once the truck is in idle only mode it cannot be cleared out and the PCM must be replaced.  I am not sure if this is specific to 13-14s or what.  This is the only truck I've ever had that was idled.  Several similar hotline contacts that I read all said the same thing, pcm replacement.  I just wish I could get one. 

I assume draining the memory inside the PCM would not work. Like maybe disconnecting the PCM and jumpering the powers and grounds together would not work? Or maybe doing a PMI and then deleting that session and then plug in the as built data into the PCM.

I dunno if this is your problem but when I perform any reset function on these things (including CMDTC's) I shut the ignition off for 3 minutes. This is necessary to allow the PCM to fully perform all shut down procedures and turn off.

P203A, level sensor circuit

P203E, level sensor intermittent

P204C, reductant pressure circuit low

P205D, reductant temp sensor high

P205E, reductant temp sensor intermittent

I also found, in addition to the improper ground, connector C110 partially unplugged so I put some electrical grease on it and it snapped right in. Regardless of what the fix was I believe one of the 2 was the whole concern.

New PCM + parameter reset and we're good to go. Time to drive cycle this thing and turn it loose.

edit - 24 miles and not a code in sight.

One more thing, to minimize the chance of any problems while installing the new PCM start your session as normal, then key off, put your new pcm in, key on and PMI with as-built.  You don't want IDS sucking any bad info out of the old PCM.  This was a tip I read off someone else's similar hotline contact.

I also found that my new PCM came nearly pre-programmed.  I actually key'd on and everything was fine, I went in and PMI'd it anyways but it didn't actually program it, basically just configured it for the vehicle.  I went in to program my Engine Serial Number because it requested it for 14,000lb and over vehicles.....the ESN was already programmed correctly.

The parameter reset was needed to clear a P161A code but other than that no problems. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know, I had one of these this week that the tsb would not bring the truck out of idle only mode.  Talked back and forth with hotline and Ordered a PCM this afternoon.  Truck has 275 miles on it.  Customer was bringing it home from the upfitter after having a service bed installed.  G400 was moved to an incorrect location.

I just did another one too. Hotline is aware the TSB doesn't work with 100% certainty and is working with engineering on the fix.  

What ever you do make damn sure when you relocate G400 that it's the ONLY concern.  I have had multiple vehicles with a poor G400 in addition to other wiring issues caused by the body builder. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...