01 7.3 running on FILTERED used ATF and the politics of "freezer" tax

Rate this topic

Had a customer/friend bring me a truck 01 F250 7.3 (work truck with 260000 miles on it) he had picked up cheap about 20000 miles ago,  since then he's run straight used ATF as fuel filtered through a 15 micron filter than a 3 micron filter and then pumped into the tank.  He adds MotorCraft Cetane boost at every fill up (about 1/3 of a bottle) and says it only smokes in cold weather after letting it warm up 10 min or so but smoke clears up within 1/8 of a mile.  I've driven the truck - plenty of power no driveabilty issues and for S&G performed a compression test - 350 across the board,  he says his EGT's are lower than his 03 7.3 personal truck with 125000 miles on it running diesel and MotorCraft additive...  Thoughts and Opinions 

I know (second hand) of a couple of guys doing the same thing, I don't think it's all that unusual. Generally they say they use good used ATF from tranny flushes but not discolored fluid from burned trannies. 

:grin:

I would probably pass on the whole idea because I'm just too damn lazy. I barely want to put the (automatic) gas pump handle in my truck's filler neck and then have to squeeze the handle lever. And God forbid if it don't have a locking lever.

I might would consider it if I could find a full service station offering free used trans fluid, you know, wash the windshield and check the oil while your at it. Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I popped the hood. :chinrub2:

I dunno... I am one of those people who subscribe to the concept that we shouldn't put things in the fuel tank that an engine was never designed to burn. Just because we can does not necessarily mean that we should. Particularly, despite any filtering that is done to process these waste products, there is still carbon and metals and chemical byproducts like acids in used engine oils and used trans fluid can still contain abrasive particles. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of alternatives and blends but using used garbage in a modern (expensive) diesel is risky in my opinion. And what about emissions? Has there ever been any testing on this subject? I am just curious.

I also remember reading about a couple of guys over at the Monkey House whose trucks are developing starting and drivability issues after using WMO for an extended period of time.

I would cut the tether off altogether, however I am quite sure I would be buying replacement gas caps at an alarming rate, after that.

"Hey, did you know you had a rag hanging out of your filler neck?"

Just use a long piece of ready-strap and some self tappers. You might want to put some tape over the CEL for the impending evap codes.

• Like 1

I worked with a guy that did this in his OBS along with used motor oil. He justified putting a set of injectors in outweighed the cost of normal diesel fuel so it made since to him. I thought he was crazy

I dunno... I am one of those people who subscribe to the concept that we shouldn't put things in the fuel tank that an engine was never designed to burn. Just because we can does not necessarily mean that we should. Particularly, despite any filtering that is done to process these waste products, there is still carbon and metals and chemical byproducts like acids in used engine oils and used trans fluid can still contain abrasive particles. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of alternatives and blends but using used garbage in a modern (expensive) diesel is risky in my opinion. And what about emissions? Has there ever been any testing on this subject? I am just curious.

I also remember reading about a couple of guys over at the Monkey House whose trucks are developing starting and drivability issues after using WMO for an extended period of time.

I tend to think like, though I do get more intense and verbose( Let me reiterate that  - as the professionals we insist we are - we have become caretakers of the public trust. Citizenry is depending on us to have the integrity to remain within the constraints of the law and common decency.( Imagine if doctors and lawyers operated with some of these cavalier attitudes).

If a carpenter builds a house and the electrician and plumber install services, do we not expect this stuff to meet building codes?                

Additional thoughts from fuzzy old brain..... What happens when they dip your tank and see red stuff with no farm plate? Disability doesn't pay near enough but I still pay the road tax on my gasoline. What about any shit falling out of your tailpipe? Any reason everyone else deserves to enjoy your new found economy?

It isn't about what is ( in the very short run ) " cheap". At some point in time it has to become about what is RIGHT.

As ever, we DO NOT own this planet - we are borrowing it .... from our grandchildren and that includes mine, Kieths, Larry's, Brads (and on and on and on).

Sorry, guys, you can see there are things I am passionate about and my inner workin's just wont allow me to relent

Here if they dip you and it comes up red, and you tell them you have trans oil in it as an additive, they send it to be tested.

If it comes back with ATF you don't get a ticket. If there's no trace amounts in it you get a ticket in the mail.

A guy I know used to dump a qt of used diesel oil in the tank of his pickup when he was running colored fuel. Turned the whole tank full black.

Farm fuel isn't enough of a saving anymore to even run it.

First ticket is $440.

Second one is $10k

Third one they take the mileage on your truck, use an arbitrary number to determine an average fuel mileage, and charge you the tax based on that, and they assume ALL the fuel you'd burned is farm fuel.