2006 F250 gas charging issue

Rate this topic

Ficm

Got a weird one here. Operator complained about I/C and radio shutting off momentarily whilst driving. I drove the truck into my bay and it happened shortly after start up, engine kept running and I could rev it. I scanned for codes and got B1317 Battery voltage high. Perform two pinpoint test which included checking ground connections and voltage drop in A-circuit OG/LB wire. I proceeded to replace alternator. Monitored VBatt pid on start up and noticed charging system momentarily going 15.5V - 18V, when this happened I/C and radio went off. Charging system also hangs out 14.4V seems on little high side. I have also replaced the battery. It seems to happen when engine cold on start up, I could not verify whilst driving. 

Any ideas on what I am possibly missing?

Maybe PCM is seeing low output, or the voltage isn't getting to the battery and therefore not getting back to the sense wire. What's your b+Pid?

Not pcm controlled.

Take and back probe into the a akt at the alternator plug and install a jumper wire to the positive terminal of the battery, start it up and see what happens. Did you monitor your voltage drops with it running or just key off?

• Like 1

Thank you for your inputs. I performed VD on A-circuit KOEO between unplugged connector at alternator and battery positive as per PPT.

Thank you for your inputs. I performed VD on A-circuit KOEO between unplugged connector at alternator and battery positive as per PPT.

Voltage drop NEEDS to be done on a loaded circuit. Otherwise you aren't really measuring anything. I'll have to look at the pinpoint test later. You can load test with a fog lamp bulb on heavier circuits or a 194 bulb on lighter circuits and measure voltage drop on the circuit under load that way.

14 to 20 ga is gas starter motor, 12 gauge and bigger is diesel starter motor. V drop tests are best when the wire insulation is molten. If the insulation bubbles and smokes go down one stater motor class.

• Like 1