2015 F-450 C & C AFT/AXLE To MIDSHIP Conversion

Rate this topic

mchan68

Okay guys, I have an extremely unusual request that has been dumped on my lap. It appears our Fleet Sales manager has sold a fleet of six 2015 F-450 Cab and Chassis to a company that needs to upfit these trucks for a specific purpose that does not permit the use of the after axle fuel tank. That said, I have been asked to look into converting all six of these trucks to a midship tank application, so that they can be delivered and upfitted to be put into service. We all know that it's not going to be a simple case of just dropping the factory tank, and installing a midship tank and life is good. I don't think anyone in management (Service and Sales) even begins to appreciate the amount of parts that are going to be involved in such a conversion. To expedite the process, I asked the fleet manager to locate another such vehicle in the database that exists, ordered to exactly the same specs as our six we now have, with the exception that it is equipped with a midship tank. He has provided me with the VIN of one of our six trucks. It is 1FD0X4GT8FEC06046. So, as far as I know, this truck is a 2015 F-450 6.7L Diesel 4x2 Super Cab with a 162" Wheelbase. The other VIN I was provided with, apparently is also a truck identical to the one mentioned above, but equipped with a midship tank as desired. And the VIN for this truck is 1FD0X4GT1FEB17810. To be quite honest, I don't think I've ever seen a Cab and Chassis truck equipped with only a midship tank (I've seen dual fuel tanks), let alone done a conversion like this. In looking at it, it appears the DEF tank is located on the driver side of the frame where the midship tank would be located. So this obviously means either the DEF is completely different or relocated, but I have since put both VINs in HvBOM and have come up with the following so far:

MIDSHIP TANK TRUCK:

Frame Harness FC3Z-14405-H

Tank BC3Z-9002-F

Fuel Lines BC3Z-9S278-ES

DEF Line BC3Z-5J249-Y

AFT AXLE TANK TRUCK:

Frame Harness FC3Z-14405-X

Tank CC3Z-9002-B

Fuel Lines BC3Z-9S278-ET

DEF Line BC3Z-5J249-P

I can`t seem to find a listing for the DEF Tank and Pump assemblies for the two trucks. Nor can I come up with the proper tank straps and all the fastening hardware. Please, if any of you guys can come up with more differences in part numbers of have such a truck on your lot, I would appreciate some detailed pictures of the tank and lines and anything that may be relelvant to such a swap. I already have a pretty good idea that the cost factor for this mess is going to be astronomical, speaking of which, how much should I charge these guys for labour to do this? Thanks.

The body builder guide doesn't give the specifics, but it appears with midship tank the DEF tank is outboard of the right frame rail and fuel tank.

That is correct. I had one with a pump I had to replace that was was buried out there completely hidden by the tool box on the back of it.

The midship tanks appear to be way smaller than a factory pickup tank. I haven't ever compared capacities for sure.

Please, pictures and part numbers would help a lot. I need something to bring to that table to my managers and fast. Just the whole thought of this is giving me a headache.

remember back in 2010 when these came out? All the C&C had the DEF on the outside of the frame rails then they released a meassage about swapping it all to the inboard side if tge frame as 90% of the bodies out there had not room between the box and frame to accomidate the DEF tank. I have not seen a outboard DEF tank since then

I have never seen a midship only tank on a 450-550 or even a dual tank setup for that matter. I do not recall the option on a F550(just ordered 6 of them recently) I wonder if the 450s are somewhat different as far as options go?