E serieis SJB

Rate this topic

Fredsvt

Gentlemen,

We work on a fleet of ambulances and ambulets (handi-wheelchair vans).  We've been seeing a rash of SJB failures.

So far the most common issue has been loss of TPMS, it won't read the sensors, and the Keyless entry quits at the same time.  I am unable to train or re train the sensors or remotes, even when the info is in the SJB by looking at data stream.

The most recent, had both systems out, the customer took it to use, and three days later, the shifter interlock quit.  Couldn't get it out of park without pulling knee panel and pulling release pin manually. The SJB provides power to the interlock solenoid. 

It's gotten much worse as the weather is cold, regarding the rate of failures we're seeing.

Replacing the SJB and programming with IDS fixes it. 

Also, if you're seeing issues with Handi-vans and shift interlock and/or inoperable wheelchair lifts the Intermotive interlock ECUs are now having cold weather issues. They lose connection to the van's network.. Getting one is a joy.

Sorry, I forgot, these are 2010-2012 model years, 4.6 and 5.4 gas.

Any codes? Just out of curiosity have you tried to reinstall the As built data before replacing the SJB or are you doing a PMI when you install the new SJB? Are extra ambulance lights hooked up to the auxiliary circuits?

I have seen this.  On 2 or 3 cutaway chassis school busses.  Wont shift out of park... no voltage coming from the SJB to the shift lock solenoid. I recall there being a SSM on this but I cant locate it without a VIN. I don't think it was a TSB... I could be wrong. Yes, a new SJB corrects the concern - reprogramming alone will not.

This particular ambulance has a separate electrical system for the body, with a shut off master switch on the inside of the driver's seat base.  The wheelchair vans only have additional interior lamps and a step well light. 

I had no codes related to the shift interlock.  It did have all codes for tire pressure sensors, and none for keyless entry that I can recall.  The display in the cluster had a warning related to the TPMS system. Data stream showed learned keyless transmitters, and tire sensors.  It wouldn't "see" them.

When I hooked up the IDS, I did PMI, which it seemed to kick out of?  (I'm not 100% using all IDS functions yet) and immediately went to Ford's server to get a rather long list of files it wanted for the SJB. 

It asked me if i was ready to replace it, it did a very fast read of the old SJB then told me to replace it.  I did, IDS programmed it and  immediately the shift lock worked, so I continued on and everything was fine. 

I've replaced a few clusters before, and those were really fast doing a PMI in comparison. 

I don't like where the SJB is, on the E, the ambulance drivers tend to kick them with their feet. 

• 1 month later...

FWIW, can't you key the lock cylinder to unlock (OFF position, but not locked) the column, and pull the shifter into neutral from park, then key it on to start it up?

FWIW, can't you key the lock cylinder to unlock (OFF position, but not locked) the column, and pull the shifter into neutral from park, then key it on to start it up?

Om '08 and older models, yes. On '09 and up E-Series with the newer style cluster no.

Om '08 and older models, yes. On '09 and up E-Series with the newer style cluster no.
What he said. ^^^Plus if the park light doesn't light up when it's in park the insturment cluster will keep the pcm on and kill the battery really fast.

Plus if the park light doesn't light up when it's in park the insturment cluster will keep the pcm on and kill the battery really fast.

THAT is true on 2008+ Super Duty trucks as well. On some occasions I have had trucks/vans on my lift with the shifter in neutral and the key off... but without fail I come in the next morning to find the batteries dead. Hate when I do that! LOL!

I had an e-series shuttle bus that had a broken park switch. Had 4 amps of draw after the key was off and out of the ignition. But if you hooked the battery up and didn't turn the key on you had normal leves of draw. IC was using the can network to keep the pcm relay powered up.