Ford Pickups Face Probe After Stalling, Stranding Drivers

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Here is a Bloomberg article on NHTSA investigation on faulty EGT sensors in Diesel equipped Super Duty trucks. I wonder how far this will go and what the result will be. I understand why it is done but I have always questioned the fact that a truck is rendered completely inoperative when an EGT sensor failure occurs. It will be interesting to see if it progresses into more...http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-17/ford-pickups-face-probe-after-stalling-stranding-drivers.html

I hate the fact that these sensors kill the truck. It has happened to me on a test drive and I know how to handle a broken vehicle and it was still a handful trying to get off the road without getting into an accident.

I worked on a 2015 with a mil on and egt 1 flagged for reading high, but the truck was still driveable. Has the calibration been changed to deal with this issue?

To my knowledge, the EGT issue is with EGT 2-3-4 because that's where the problem could be.  If the aftertreatment overheats creating a chance of "thermal event" :haha2:, EGT1 isn't going to be an issue because it's ahead of the cat.....

:grin:

Not much info for us just the typical......." improvements to scr and update emission guidelines."

That always bugs me, It would be nice to get a little more info on exactly what is being changed to know if its actually going to help with the customers concerns or not.

I think Ill hold off on programming mine to see what kind of results the recall provides, Always my fear that the "updated improvements" will make it worse rather then better. It is interesting its going all the way back to Job 1 2011 which is what I own. In 110k miles Ive never had a exhaust sensor issue.

My theory is the legal dept told them to stop telling us what they change in programming.  Info can always be used against you in court, so the best thing for them is just change it and keep their mouths shut on what they change.

:grin:

Did you see the new ssm

Jan 22 2015 5920-2011-2014 F-Super Duty built on or before 11/06/2013 Equipped With 6.7L Diesel Engine - Complete FSA 14E03 Prior To Any Vehicle Diagnostics And Repairs

Some 2011-2014 F-Super Duty vehicles built on or before 11/06/2013 equipped with a 6.7l engine may exhibit multiple Drivability symptoms and Diagnostic TroubleCodes (DTC's) with-in the powertrain control module (PCM). Please ensure that Field Service Action (FSA) 14E03 has been completed prior to performing any vehicle diagnostics and/or repairs. Upon completion of the FSA, clear all DTCs and retest prior to performing any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) listed in oasis.