FICM repair.com

Rate this topic

Any one ever have anything to do with ficms from this place? I have an 04 excursion on the go right now. I did head gaskets and studs, HP oil pump, 8 Injectors from industrial injection, engine oil cooler, egr delete, blue spring regulator kit, and a ficm from ficm repair .com with his "atlas 40" tune. Customer supplied all parts except the hp pump. Reassemble truck and ran it about 2-3 hours, parked it in the spare bay in the shop and then I was off for 5 days due to a back injury. Fired it up yesterday, it ran for 10 seconds and then shut off. Found the 50 amp main ficm fuse blown, pops a 50 amp breaker as soon as key is switched on. Installed my test ficm, and all is OK. Funny thing is, this thing ran like crap from the moment I fired it initially, surging and cutting out at idle. I thought it was the modified injectors causing an overfueling issue at idle. With my test ficm installed it runs like a dream. My customer called the guy at ficm repair.com, and he said it is my fault for not following the proper startup procedure after the hp pump/ head repair. Apparantly if we crank an engine any longer than 5 seconds it will smoke the ficm. Apparently we are supposed to roll the engine over with the key off, using a remote start switch, to prime the hp oil system. I cant see how that would do shit when the ipr is wide open with the key off. Not to mention, if the thing is cranking with no ICP the injectors aren't enabled and the ficm isn't doing shit. Any how, I prefill the hp pump res, the pump, the rails and standpipes. This thing maybe cranked 10 seconds before firing, and it has 2 new batteries with a charger on it. The dude at ficm repair.com is telling the customer that he has this problem with ford dealers all the time, as we don't follow the manual for the correct startup procedure after major repairs, and that we should be paying for a replacement ficm. My customer gave the guy my phone #, but he refuses to call me, just keeps filling my customer full of bullshit info. Any thought or comments?

I am calling bullshit on the guy's response.

A stock FICM would never do this and to be quite honest, I cannot see how the engine not firing could possibly cause a failure of the FICM. What difference would it make if the engine does not fire right away? That is the difference between the engine actually running and cranking with the injectors enabled? Depending on how much air is in the oil and fuel systems I can see and have heard injectors clicking while cranking for several seconds while cranking. The only thing that might affect the module is low battery power - if that is what is frying the resisters or the DC-DC converters then his "upgrades are only going to aggravate that condition. How many shadetree guys fixing their own trucks have cranked the piss out of their engines after making similar repairs?  To be honest, I have not read any bad commentary concerning FICMREPAIR.com on the public forums so I am a little surprised. 

Were there any instructions from them with the "repaired"  FICM stating not to do that? 

He has problems like this with Ford dealers all the time? FUCK HIM!  Sounds like he has a problem.

This is what can happen when you deviate from OEM.  Just sayin. Keep us posted on how this progresses.

Wow that is unbelievable.  From what I heard ficmrepair.com was a reputable business but those are just lines of BS.  I have never smoked a FICM or even heard of such a thing happening from over cranking.

A starter? yes. A FICM? Give me a break.  I would call them to straighten this out.  Don't get mad at first, just hear them out.  When they start spouting it's your fault then get mad. 

Well look at it this way Matt, Chris did not pay for the FICM so, if the customer wants his truck running he needs to supply another FICM or sell him a FORD REMAN.

I will say though, if you are working at your dealership and you install non-OEM parts or parts supplied by the customer you are asking for trouble.

I agree.  I learned this with the aftermarket injector fiasco.

I stock ARP head studs and bulletproof EGR coolers but only if you ask.  I am a fan of the International halfshell too but not for just anyone, only my 6.0 fleets. 

This guy is a fairly good customer. He had a custom bike shop here in town but closed it due to lack of business. He understands how shit works. He gave me a list of all the aftermarket stuff he wanted us to source for him, but I told him I would rather he just orders everything he wants, and we will install it for him, that way we are not responsible for wrong fitment or defective parts.

I am thinking he is using cheaper or inferior transformers to rebuild these, which are super prone to low voltage conditions. It says on his invoice that the alternator must be bench tested and the batteries charged and tested before installing his product. This truck has 2 new 850 batteries and a new alternator installed during repair, and a charger on it. No way my voltage dropped below 11v during cranking.

He is shipping us a new ficm, but it doesn't sound like he is too happy about it.

If this were true, we would be replacing FICMs with every truck that comes in with a HP leak. It seems all our customers think "If I crank it for just 30 more seconds it will start, ok not this time, ok lets try 30 more seconds, oh crap, now the battery is dead, maybe we should tow it, no lets try to boost it, just 30 more seconds of cranking and it should go. Well, we've been at it half the day, it's time to get it towed." Next day, "what do you mean my starter is no good now, it was cranking fine yesterday!"  :chinrub2:

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old post but I had a customer with an excursion from out of state towed in with a dead ficm. Guy said he had it

rebuilt by ficm repair and went on and on how great he was and how cheap it is. Anyway he didn't seem to happy about the news of

his ficm and had to buy a ford unit due to being SOL. Thought you guys might get a good laugh.

The second unit he sent up is still running fine. Whatever program he loads in them, mixed with the big hp injectors gives this thing a crazy lope idle. When I had my stock tester ficm installed it didn't do it.

I have since put a trans in this thing, and an air dog fuel supply pump and filter, and a sinister regulated fuel return setup, which adds lines to the rear fuel ports on the heads, deletes the factory fuel pressure regulator, uses an adjustable regulator and returns fuel from the rear of the heads, which is supposed to prevent the rear cylinders from being starved for fuel.

• 6 months later...

I went through a spurt of ficms popping the 50a fuse and voltage dropping to zero from ficmrepair. We continued to use him until a customer showed up with an atlas 80 from Ed (ficmrepair), and Ed said he wouldn't warranty it. Well,, he hasn't made a single sale through me since then. The irony is,, I have an 05 ambulance and an 03 f series at the shop that are owned by Ed. He balked at the $9k price to get the ambulance engine done,, then put in the 03. He is the most expensive place to buy a Ficm,,, But he obviously doesn't like being on the other side of the price coin. Lol. Can't wait to get that crap off my lot btw.