broken injector hold down bolts

Rate this topic

I'm doing fuel system replacement for contamination. While removing the injectors #7 & 8 injector hold down bolts broke off in the head. I was using 3/8 long ratchet to break them all loose. Both are sticking up enough to weld, so I tried that, no luck, soaked and heated also, no luck either. Any ideas?

Replace the head if it's warranty. There is no authorized thread repair procedure in the WSM, so Ford will pay for a new head if it has warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

update: Well I decided to send the head out to a machine shop after having no luck drilling one out. They told us they were going to have to helicoil it and we decided to just get a new head so it would carry a service parts warranty.

I had similar problem with bolts breaking on the passenger side. I think that when egr coolers are removed, coolant leaks down the valve cover and into the bolt holes. Over time, corrosion starts and causes the problem.

• 1 month later...

I had to do one of these 2 weeks ago. I removed the cab for better access.  I was able to put a good weld on the broken bolt...  strong enough to rock the engine when I was trying to take it out.  It wouldn't budge.  I ended up having to completely drill out the bolt and retap the hole...  Not looking forward to seeing too many more of these.