12 f150 5.0 engine noise

Rate this topic

RyanG

Anybody run in to mystery knock at idle on 5.0. I have it down to the passenger side valve cover, removed

and did not see any problems with adjusters or followers. Removed the belts, cancelled cylinders etc. with

no change in noise. Hotline said possible issue with cam cap alignment or cylinder liner distortion. Just

wondering if anyone has run in to this yet. This is the first time I have worked on one of these so not

familiar with common issues.

Note: The knock is only at idle, goes away as soon as rpms raised.

Anybody run in to mystery knock at idle on 5.0. I have it down to the passenger side valve cover, removed

and did not see any problems with adjusters or followers. Removed the belts, cancelled cylinders etc. with

no change in noise. Hotline said possible issue with cam cap alignment or cylinder liner distortion. Just

wondering if anyone has run in to this yet. This is the first time I have worked on one of these so not

familiar with common issues.

Note: The knock is only at idle, goes away as soon as rpms raised.

I would check oil pressure at idle and just above?

I checked all the lash adjusters and everything looks ok. I heard about the run out too. Another tech had the same noise, hotline had

him replace the head with a new set of adjusters and followers for the same noise which fix the issue and hotline is saying the same

thing to me. I'll keep you posted.

I had one with a knock that I could hear the loudest in the rh exhaust manifold studs with a stethoscope. A cylinder head fixed it. Found what looked like severe galling on one of the #4 exhaust valve stems. I think the valve was hanging just enough to come off the cam lobe and slam shut, but not enough to hit the piston.

• 1 year later...

Noise was intermittent. After i put the head on it was gone for a while and came back with the knocking noise from cylinder liners. I ended up doing a short block per ford. I never found what caused the noise in the head, i just replaced assembly. These were 2 different noises. Its hard to track down the causes due to the amount of things it could be on these engines.

Related to that, I've seen small rocks in the A/C belt (lodged between the ribs) cause an intermittent knocking noise. The intensity of the noise is affected by the state of the clutch.