Heads up on P259F 2015 F550 and tsb 15-0077

Rate this topic

Had a 2015 f550 come in with p259f.  Shop Foreman typed it into good old oasis got tsb 15-0077 ordered all the parts as the tsb came up on it.  I got the truck this morning brought it in, tore it down to the turbo and turbo looked a bit different but I knew there were some change up parts.  Took turbo out nothing fits as far as oil lines go.  Note - truck has a sct livewire programmer and dpf/def delete.  Contacted hotline and got the old 3 different hotline responses from different people.  On fourth reply back the hotline guy told me p259f does not exist on 2015 f550 cab and chassi trucks only pickups hence the tsb.  On the tsb did not state does not apply to cab and chassis, pced does not state code does not apply to cab and chassis, but of course the 4th hotline guy wrote that in even though the question was asked twice before in the hotline contacts.  Long story short the sct programmer is trying to boost truck as if it was pickup not cab and chassis causing the code to come up as it has programming in it from a 2014 f550 or regular pick up.  So just info p259f should not come up in a 2015 cab and chassis unit.

Had almost the same thing happen to me with an F-350 cab and chassis. It was programmed wrong from the factory and set a P259F while towing. Only pickup calibrations will set that code. Cab and chassis use p0234 instead.

The TSB does state it's only for pickup trucks in the title. It's easy to read over, I did too.

The last one I did turned out to be the guy's tuner.........To start out he was a bit of a J/A.....The truck is new with only 2000 KM's on it, it's lifted, tuned and deleted. The code only showed up after the delete was done. He started complaining he needed the truck ASAP for work because his current vehicle broke down. This was originally diagnosed by someone other than me and parts ordered. They managed to find all the parts for me here in town, so I replaced the turbo per TSB. Road tested it and gave it to the customer, he spouts "This better have fixed it." before he left. Code came back, so it's not the turbo. He spent 2 hours on the phone with Bully Dog, had his tuner updated, and codes is gone. 

lifted, tuned and deleted I would have declined to work on it.

Half the trucks that come in here are like this. That's what we get for being smack in the middle of Alberta oilfield central. We call them RIG ROCKETS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these right now on an F250 but it is legit. Had cleared the PCM and went for several road tests - set the P259F code and check engine light came on in the parking lot. The truck has some performance issues I never verified though... I had several people drive this thing too.  Anyone know the background on this TSB and what is wrong with the turbos?

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago when I went to Buffalo for training I took a spare turbo for my 6.0 with me. You wouldn't believe the parts that went for a ride every day I drove that thing

Oh yee of little faith.....

But I sure get it. I have a 1981 F100 in my family that I bought new. It has 425K miles on it now using the original fender mounted ignition module. When the truck had 20K on it the body shop at the dealer where I worked used a front clip to repair a F150 and discarded the old front clip and I robbed the ign module and bolted it next to the other one. It has been there and scared the OE one into working all that time.

• Like 1

The turbo went with me because I was running an unbalanced stage 1 that I threw together and only had about 300 miles on it. After I started doing more turbos I stopped being so cautious. I always ran around with a FICM, IPR, hot side cac boots and tools to change them.

5 years of daily driving it and that thing never left me stuck, even when I rammed it into a tree on the way home I still drove it 3 hours after that. I hope it wasn't a mistake getting rid of it.

A few years ago when I went to Buffalo for training I took a spare turbo for my 6.0 with me. You wouldn't believe the parts that went for a ride every day I drove that thing

And my co-workers think I'm nuts for taking tools along when I took my 7.3 on vacation last month.

And my co-workers think I'm nuts for taking tools along when I took my 7.3 on vacation last month.

Sometimes I wish I could be naive as the average vehicle owner and not worry about all the "what ifs" on the road. I think as technicians we fear the breakdown after seeing all the broken crap in our bays day in day out. We can see it happening to us and want to be prepared, not that its a bad thing just one more thing to worry about when traveling.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished looking at a 2016 F550 with only 1100 KM on it that set P0234 for no apparent reason. Freeze frame data has boost at 15 psi at 104 km/hr, which doesn't seem abnormal to me. Cleared codes and was unable to get code to return.

Just finished looking at a 2016 F550 with only 1100 KM on it that set P0234 for no apparent reason. Freeze frame data has boost at 15 psi at 104 km/hr, which doesn't seem abnormal to me. Cleared codes and was unable to get code to return.

Well now...It's back with same concern. Here is the hotline response....

Comment From: Ford  Comment Date: Dec 01 2015 13:22:58Leon,This could be caused by a calibration concern. It appears this vehicle is covered by TSB 15-0158 based on the build date of the vehicle. It would be recommended to update the PCM to the latest calibration per the TSB and retest for any further concerns with the vehicle. 

TSB 15-0158 does not apply to chassis cab vehicles. Going to reprogram anyways if there is an update, my guess is it won't get paid.

• 1 year later...

Watch out. This TSB has been superseded and is just a PCM reprogram now

Now the routine is 1: reprogram per TSB, return to customer, 2: comes back-same code, replace MAP sensor, return to customer, 3: comes back, same code, replace turbo....

Although there are no turbo's or pedistals available at the moment.