transits dont't meet FMVSS requirements for transporting children for schools

Rate this topic

nelsona19

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this but looks like the Transits aren't able to be sold to schools to transport children. :scratch:

If that's the case why wouldn't you make this vehicle meet those requirements, seems like a lot of business to miss out on.

EFC04199.pdf

What it says is the complete vehicle (wagon) is not certified, but they can purchase the cut-away and have it completed to be a school bus. The wagon is classified as a 10 passenger vehicle, and does not meet the 11 passenger regulation.

"Ford manufactures incomplete vehicles including the E-Series Cutaway and Transit Cutaway that can be outfitted with the School Bus Prep Package or Multi-Function School Activity Bus Prep Package."

Can someone please explain then: 

Here in NJ I see vast numbers of Windstars, Freestars, Caravans, Suburbans and other standard passenger vehicles used as S2 plated school buses.

I was told years ago by a DOT inspector that all of the above are most definitely illegal for school use, yet they still move school students on a daily basis.

Is it a number of passenger requirement or oversight on someone's part?

The town our dealership is in is pretty rural and the schools use a "bus" company to pick up some of the kids off the beaten path.

They're mostly running caravans and other old mini-vans, some E-150s but not anything I would consider a bus