Another 2015 (with under 30k) Needs A Cylinder Head

Rate this topic

the_twig_187

this trend is starting to scare me a little bit. I have a 2015 F-550 with a 6.8L V10 with 28,000 km. there was a very loud tapping noise from the left cylinder head that got much worse when the vehicle was hot. I removed the valve cover and found the cylinder #9 intake rocker/roller arm bearing had completely seized and dragged the cam lobe across it. The best part about the job was the fact that this is a U-Haul vehicle and they have modified it and put a ramp on top, to use as a mini car carrier. this ment that I could NOT cab off to perform this procedure and that I had to pull the engine out the front in order to replace the cylinder head. The fun didn't stop there tho, because the car carrier brace was through the front bumper we could not remove either of them. With both of those in place it left me about 3 feet short with the engine crane to be able to hook onto the lifting bracket. thus, off to the machine shop to get an 8 foot long beam to use as a make-shift engine crane extension boom. Got the job done but it was a major pain in the ass... have seen two cylinder head component failures on brand new vehicle in the last month. anyone else seeing these?

IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

I haven't seen an engine failure like that in a Super Duty but I went through a 2-year streak of V-10 engine failures.  Things have been fairly quiet lately in that respect. The truck is a U-Haul service truck used to do light repairs and shuttle car dollies and small trailers around. I have three that visit me regularly with 6.7L engines.