Clean Diesel...I think not...

Rate this topic

lmorris

The only thing I can think of is that whatever they did to get the low emissions would have decreased engine life. 

I figured it is driveability and expense to clean intakes from excess soot from high EGR dosing.

The early TDI engines would soot up the intake so bad, they'd barely idle.  The power loss was gradual to a point where it would no longer build boost.

Their intakes have barely a 2.5 inch opening, they'd be restricted down to less than 3/4 of an inch. 

I can imagine that their "defeat" was to basically disable EGR. 

VW had so many issues with TDI engines, with early stoot cloggers, then the PD engines wiping cams and followers for the injectors due to VW not speccing the correct oil for cars sold in the US, until so many failed it was disgusting. 

I think the EPA is as much to blame here.. they spell out the procedure for the tests, the conditions, given values things need to be at to prerform the tests.. ALL manufature's know the test criteria and how to achieve the desired results for those given conditions that do not relate to real world conditions, just like fuel miliage claims, they do not reflect real world results.. If the EPA are that stupid they should not be in the business of setting the standards, the test criteria or performing the act tests. The test was passed by VW and every other mfg for those conditions that they test with, They have said as much.. if they don't test in real world conditions how can they not expect auto makers to program their engines to pass the REQUIRED tests as they stand?

This isn't the first time the EPA has come up against this, unfortunatly they have the endless pockets of the taxpayers to change the rules of the game mid play and the teams (automakers or engine makers) don't have the backing to challange the government to play fair.

I'm not against clean air or polution control but lets get the game played fairly, you want real world polution numbers test in the real world not in a lab with perfect conditions that can be "cheated" by looking for these set conditions. I would not hesitate to think there will be more manufacturers getting pulled into this and not just diesels...