2001 GMC 3500 Savana Dually Center Support

Rate this topic

These have a rear shaft with at least a 4" splined section. Not the usual slip yoke. The yoke at the rear end of the front shaft, which has the center support, doesn't have a bolt or nut retaining it. I assume this yoke is pressed on? Taking driveshaft to shop to get bearing changed Monday. Just curious if it normally presses off w/o any issues?

F-150 2 piece shafts are similar to this and the carrier bearing is non-serviceable through Ford.  Our driveshaft shop cuts the yoke off, presses on a new bearing and welds the yoke back on.  Perhaps this is the way this shaft is made too. 

That is my assumption. Found the diagram after I posted. In the service description it says as much. Lists serviceable parts. Center support not one of them. New design isn't always good for the customer. But I guess it lasted 15 years and a couple hundred miles?

Did you price a shaft through gm. I can usually get a shaft with all u joints and yokes cheaper than just replacing 3 u joints, carrier bearing, and a slip yoke. I have tried local driveshaft shops for balancing with very poor results. I even visited the shop in town to see how they balance and they have an expensive electronic machine but don't high speed balance. On a side not I ordered a custom shaft from Denny's driveshafts for a hot rod and I could run 80 mph with no vibration. They high speed balance.

In a weird twist driveshaft shop ORDERED a shaft. Not sure why that was cheaper/better than them making it up themselves?

$709.99. 

Rear section is 2" too short...now they get to put in in the tube stretcher?