What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Got that 6.0 all done and out on the road this morning only to hear the same whooshing noise I heard the first time. I thought for sure I screwed up something with the up-pipes. Found about a quarter sized hole on the bottom of the lower hot side cac boot, never saw it when the duct was out. Fixed that and it's good to go, the new flex pipe is holding well so far

2016 F550 6.7L, 22,000 KMS that needs a turbo, MAF, air inlet tube and CAC because of a cheap collapsed air filter.

2013 F250 6.7L 144,000 KMS that needs a MAF because of a cheap collapsed air filter.

Got that 15 E-450 bus in here for the tranny issue. With the wheels off the ground I have some but very little movement in any gear. Line pressures seem high to me but I'm not totally sure

Apparently door lock cylinders for 2003 Honda Civics are hard to come by. So I switched the right door cylinder to the left side, now I can get in my car without going through the passenger door all the time. :D  

Yesterday did my first set of 6.2 exhaust manifolds in a 12 F-350 cab and chassis. Not a horrible job. It has a leaking fuel tank also and the customer opted to get their own used tank.

Just right now they dropped me off a diesel fuel tank so I guess I'm going to find out first hand what the differences are.

Yes they are different part numbers. The only real difference in the tanks are the small baffles where the fuel pump or sending unit sits down into. The shape of the bowl is different on a diesel than gas. I had to cut out one of the pieces so the gas pump would fit squarely into the bottom of the diesel tank.

I needed to swap over the rollover valve in the inlet and the evap thingy on the top of the tank. Other than that it worked okay. I made sure to thoroughly clean the inside of the tank too

Now while I was doing all this I started thinking about diesel tanks delaminating and what causes it. I guess we'll see if gasoline will delaminate a diesel tank.

Torqshift out of that E-450, looks like the coast clutch cylinder left the building. The piston return spring was out too. Didnt get much further than that yet, I'll pull the rest apart tomorrow. Wonder what could cause this?

image.jpg

Is anyone familiar with TSB 16-0057? I see that the coast clutch cylinder is the causal part (which it is in my instance too) but I have more damage than the TSB allows for. Anyone know how the coast clutch cylinder fails in this TSB?

For the record I did not have any DTCs in this vehicle I'm working on so technically the TSB does not apply.

Coast clutch hubs fail frequently and I have seen a handful myself. I always find no other damage to the trans because the failure is sudden and the truck simply will not move after it fails and the truck comes to a stop. If I am not mistaken the failure is an insufficient weld that holds the center section to the hub. I don't even take the transmission off of the trans jack to fix them - before removing take the pan down, remove the filter and clean out what little debris there might be. Put the pan back up with 4 bolts and remove the assembly, take the converter and pump out and there it is. No DTC's and no reports of slipping pretty much assures no other faults. And... without the DTC's you will at least be paid better than what the TSB affords us.

Yeah I didn't know any of that before a few days ago. I tore the whole damn thing down and didn't really find anything else going on. Direct was a little out of spec so it got a thicker snap ring to push it back in the middle.

Man did I get burned today. First thing this morning, two 15E05 reprograms on two twin v10 buses. One went good and left, the other left but came right back. It has over 100k on it and every time you would accelerate from a stop, let off and coast it would die. Just idle down and die. Zero DTCs set.

I'm immediately suspicious of my IDS. It's our original Toughbook CF-18 running dog slow with windows XP. The USB port is on it's last legs and it routinely loses connection. For the most part, if I need to use an IDS this is what I have to deal with. I'm mad about the whole situation and no matter what I do I cannot force another reprogram. I tried every way possible to blank path it with no luck. So I grab the other new IDS (which I only got asked 3 times for it while I had it).

When it asked if I this was the correct vehicle I accidentally hit yes instead of no. Game over, now both IDS's know this vin. No which way can you reprogram this thing without finding a way to delete session files, which I don't know or could figure out how to do.

On and off I spent all day deleting IDS from the old Toughbook (which I am fucking through with) and installing it on the laptop I have for my desk (which has a bad battery so it can't be unplugged). All said and done I blank path reprogram the PCM with the fresh IDS, everything went smooth and wouldn't you know it the bus still acts up just as bad as before.

Finally about an hour ago I pulled the throttle body, cleaned all the crap out around the plate and cleaned the MAF sensor also. One of those things fixed it, runs like a dream now.

2012 F550, Never come across one that broke like this. Can't find the hold down clamp, so I don't know if it is broken. I was able to spin the fuel line off the injector by hand. The injector must have been loose for a while. 

gallery_904_21_141804.jpg

gallery_904_21_251376.jpg

gallery_904_21_139457.jpg

Got a 14 6.7 pickup here that has grenaded the HPFP resulting in a large fuel leak from the valley and a no crank conditon.  I'm thinking fuel contamination for sure but I just can't put my finger on it.  The fuel in this truck is pretty cloudy, like a brownish yellow but I haven't found a drop of water or a spot of rust anywhere yet.   No WIF events in memory and I'm sure the original fuel filters were swapped out at the oh shit moment.  The fuel doesn't ignite and doesn't smell like gas but something about it doesn't smell right.

I have the filters out, tank out, VCV out and none of it has dried to show DEF crystals.  The PCV is coming out tomorrow. 

This fleet has constant fuel issues, I'm always finding metal in their 6.4s and 6.7s.  Found on multiple occasions fuel in the DEF tank.  I just can't nail this one down.   I want to say contamination but if I don't have proof then what do I do? 

I've got a ton of other shit here too, it has exploded again. 

- 2015 F150 3.5 for a r/hand manifold and a vista moonroof track. 

- 2015 Edge for cracked fixed moonroof glass

- 2015 Fusion for the door latch recall

- 2012 F350 6.2 for a l/hand manifold and 16 spark plugs