What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

The bus company okay'd a coast clutch cylinder and soft overhaul on the torqshift. Still waiting to hear on the 6.0 cam and lifters. Outside are 2 6.7 F-550 service trucks. One needs a retail tranny and the other a turbo. It's gonna be a bitch doing a torqshift 6 on the ground

You don't have a big enough drive-on to pick it?

No I work off two 18k twin posts. Those are the biggest lifts in the shop. I'll be able to get it off the ground and hopefully high enough to get the trans out the but that's about it

Man I am struggling with this 05 6.0 that's here now too.  Can't make desired EBP to save my life, you drive around and it basically has VGT duty cycle at 85% the whole time.  Runs great though and doesn't act like it has any turbo concerns at all (like the DC is not actually at 85%)

Has a new turbo, known good EBP sensor and VGT solenoid, no exhaust leaks. Cleaned the EBP tube and fitting. Wiggle testing all the wiring showed nothing. It failed the EGR valve test that I posted above so I put another new valve in it, still no change.  Only code is a P0299

Ran a VVT test and it looks horribly sloppy.  No real distinct step pattern and no flats at the top of the peaks.  I am leaning towards VGT wiring or pin fit at this time, more testing to follow.  :scratch:

Alright, I didn't want to believe it but the problem was poor pin fit at the VGT pigtail.  I have changed many of these over the years for broken locks, chafing, exposed wires but not once have I ever actually had one give me fits when it looked perfectly fine.

I load tested the wiring from the PCM to VGT and it was good, even stuck a known good PCM in with not much change.  When I would unplug the VGT and plug it back in my EBP would shoot up almost to desired but slowly creep back down to nothing.  It was infact the pins on the VGT slowly losing contact. 

Here are 2 screen shots from the VVT test, mind you this is a known good VGT solenoid and a brand new turbo.  The only difference was the pigtail was swapped out with one from a used harness that looked slightly better.  Parts is long gone and I couldn't get a new one.

Notice the peak voltage in the first screen shot, this indicated the vanes weren't closing all the way which gave me my low EBP

VVT test with poor pin fit at VGT pigtail.png

VVT test with new VGT pigtail.png

Forget it, that did not fix it. I have no idea what happened. It was fine for a whole minute while I did that last VVT test, closed the test out and my EBP was perfect idling. I put the original PCM back in and the old VGT solenoid and now I'm back where I was. So I started switching VGTs out again, no change.  I reflashed the original PCM incase it was a calibration issue, no change. 

When I switched out PCMs originally it did not change anything either. The only other thing I did was tape up all the exposed wires I had out. That would not explain why everything load tested and resistance checked good initially.

One other time I had a VGT wiring problem in a harness that I could recreate by wiggling the harness and my EBP would shoot up.  It had a code unlike this one and if that's the issue I can't seem to recreate it.  Tomorrow I am going to get into the wiring further down. 

Well I got it. First thing this morning I disassembled an old 6.0 harness and ran an overlay to the VGT solenoid using a new pigtail. That didnt change anything. Still no EBP.

Then I put my good PCM back in it (which I took out last night before the concern happened again) The PCM was the issue, it is not driving the VGT correctly. New PCM fixed all concerns, no more underboost and EBP matches desired with a good duty cycle

• Like 1

2012 F550 typical turbo failure. 

2006 outside on charger, customer blanked out the PCM with a tuner...Back to stock now.

2014 F350 with intermittent idle surge, tuned and deleted...this thing never acts up for me, but as soon as the owner comes in to get it, it acts up. I told him he needs to stay with the vehicle until I fix it...It had a dirty MAF, apparently that wasn't the issue. He was a little pissed because the advisor told him it was fixed, I told the advisor this was a hunch because It wasn't acting up and that was all I could find. Also need to pull the belt off to find the noisy pulley. 

Not in my bay I use the guy next to me's bay for stuff like this.

The shooting club I belong to has a pistol range with these steel animal silhouette targets. Occasionally the bases get broken off or if someone shoots them with a rifle they can get holes in them. I took 3 with me last saturday and fixed them at the shop tonight. I welded the bases back on an filled some holes.

image.jpg

• Like 1

Okay but seriously right now I have a retail tranny and wiring harness on a 13 F-550 that weighs just shy of 22k pounds. It wasn't easy but it's up off the ground high enough to sneek the tranny out. The truck defaulted to 5th gear because of an OSS issue and they kept trying to drive it. It over heated the tranny so bad the wiring harness is melted out the side of the case. It has what I believe to be every single code a TCM could have in memory. TR is shorted out so I couldn't start it to try and get it in the shop.

Also I have ANOTHER set of 6.0 headgaskets in an F-series. This same truck just recently had an exploded oil cooler and a misrouted wiring harness that shorted out the ign to ficm power wire. During the repairs I fixed a bad EBP and a ripped cac boot that had this thing badly underpowered. Ever since I fixed the boost issue it's been purging coolant. ALSO this time (ever since I replaced the harness) it had a bucking at WOT and would die when it idled back down coming to a stop right afterwards. It was 7 qts low on oil from severe oil pan porosity. So it's getting headgaskets, a used oil pan I stole from a 6.4 core and a bunch of other crap to hopefully fix it once and for all. Oh and it needs another oil cooler because the customer dumped copper stop leak in the coolant bottle to ease the headgasket issue.

Then I have 4 injectors, two on each side, to do in an E-series bus. Also I took a look at a 06 F-250 torqshift today that has direct clutch failure but I think they'll decline any repair for now.  We quoted a used engine for the 06 F-450 that has 2 failed lifters, no word yet, I can still fix the cam, lifters, rockers and reseal the whole engine for cheaper than a used one. 

image.jpg

Working on that e-series bus with a few injectors on each side. I don't know what it is about this thing but the valvecovers seemed extremely tight coming out. Maybe it's just because I haven't done one in a while. All the relocated crap doesn't help though

2 6L no starts, one low ICP, the other has an electrical issue with the IPR circuit that is blowing the PCM power fuse.

Edit: Turns out the fan clutch harness got caught in the fan blades and was shredded. After determining it wasn't the IPR and deciding it may have to get hot before it happened, I fired it up and heard the something rattling in the shroud. Glad I didn't put the IPR in. 

20170130_1206151.jpg

I have a 6.4 here that needs a crankcase separator oil drain hose and a few other coolant tubes that are leaking.

Oh yeah, and it has 2 FRP codes stored, short fuel trims all over the place and #2 relative compression down #5. No cel though. I told the service manager but he just wants to sell the leaks. I did check crankcase pressure and actually it is okay. I've gotten in trouble in the past for checking and finding extras on a 6.4. Seems no one wants to know of their engines impending doom.

2014 F350 glowplug module communication fault. Found the connector for the removed NOX12 module full of green fuzz and shorting out the network. Disconnected C146 by the PCM and all is good again.

Is the 6.0 with the blown injector top an 05?

Yes it is. This is the second one I have ever seen like this. Is this common on 2005's?

I think there may be an SSM or something on this occurring with 05 original injectors.

I just did headgaskets on an 05 that had 7 original injectors and one reman. When I dumped the rocker box off the left head a piece of injector ferrule fell out. Sure enough that side had the one reman injector.

I love solving little mysteries like that hahaha

• Like 1

I got an 07 F550 with a bad pinion bearing. Got the rear end all reassembled and ready to go back in. I'd do another one in a heartbeat. Had to modify the pinion holding bar and make a handle for the torque multiplier that Ford sent us for the 1.0 crank pulley bolts.

The 6.4 I'm working on, get it all finished up make it 1/4 mile down the road and it dies. I coasted into a parking lot and walked back to the shop. Grabbed IDS and drive back down, it's got a P0004 in it. I reached back to the HPFP jumper harness, start wiggling it and it started smoking and I heard the fuse pop.

Someone hacked this thing all to hell and back at one point. The harness was rubbing the low pressure turbo

image.jpg

Doing a set of repeat headgaskets on this 6.0 that's been here a lot lately. I was worried I wasn't going to find it when I got the heads off.

This is #8 on the deck side. Can't say I've ever seen a headgasket go this hard

image.jpg