vcm code update?

Rate this topic

Randomly, my vcm will try to do a code update. This will go on for several minutes but never complete. Is there a way to update otherwise? I just cancel out. It works fine otherwise.

Typically the VCM should only update when IDS determines it is not compatible with the current IDS version. You can force a factory reset on the VCM then when you plug it into what ever you have IDS on it will update to the latest version.

• Like 1

There is a way to clear the vcm code. Then it will automatically install the latest code the next time its used.  I can not find my notes on how to do it right now. I had gotten them from hotline and over the years had to use several times.

If it's a VCM2, there is a tab beside the dongle you press and hold while powering up the VCM2. This will also force a factory reset.

1. Shut down the IDS application if it is running.
2. Disconnect the VCM II DLC cable from the vehicle.
3. Disconnect the VCM II USB cable from the VCM II and PC.
4. Remove the rubber boot on the VCM II that is opposite the DLC connector to expose the
Recovery Mode Switch (the plastic tab shown in Figure 2).
5. Start the IDS application.
6. Press and hold the plastic tab. Do not release the tab until Step 9.
7. Connect the VCM II to the PC using the USB cable.
8. Wait for the VCM II's Power LED to remain on and for the unit to beep.
9. Release the plastic tab - the VCM II will be in Recovery Mode.
10. The IDS pop-up window shown in Figure 3 will appear notifying the user that a new version of
VCM II software is available. Select the Tick button to update the VCM II software.
11. Follow the IDS on-screen instructions to complete the software installation.
  • Like 1