08 6.4 WILL NOT BOOST INTERMITTENTLY

Rate this topic

CONT. P2262 P0069 & P006B CUSTOMER SAYS WILL NOT BOOST INTERMITTENTLY UNTIL YOU CYLCE THE KEY AND SOMETHING RESETS AND WILL HAVE BOOST HOT OR COLD. PLEASE LOOK AT PIDS. TRUCK HAS PROGRAMMER. THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

077.jpg

057.jpg

058.jpg

EBP A is way higher then EBP Desired and the VGT actuator is backing off. Looks like a heavy accel too - EBP sensor (suspect bias), connector and check the tube?  I recently had a 6.0L doing a similar thing and it was an intermittent loss of power. I also had intermittent over boosting occurring as well. Turned out to be clogged EBP fitting at the manifold. I would also make sure that turbo tube seal is not leaking on you too. ;)

EBP absolute is going to be about 14.7 psi higher than EBP desired if I remember correctly (whatever value baro is will be the difference).  If EBP was that much higher than commanded VGT duty cycle would be low trying to compensate.

Edit -

Scratch that, whatever valve EBP A is at KOEO will be the difference, not necessarily what Baro is. 

• Like 1

CONT. P2262 P0069 & P006B CUSTOMER SAYS WILL NOT BOOST INTERMITTENTLY UNTIL YOU CYLCE THE KEY AND SOMETHING RESETS AND WILL HAVE BOOST HOT OR COLD. PLEASE LOOK AT PIDS. TRUCK HAS PROGRAMMER. THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

This is your problem, at least I highly suspect it is. I have seen way too many crappy 6.4 liter programmers take a shit and cause exactly what your saying, I.e, a key reset will clear it up for a bit. 

The best course of action is to have the customer return it to stock (this usually takes care of it on your end because they dont want to do that and they will just go away) so you can eliminate the aftermarket stuff as the problem. Or have them reinstall the programmer if a flash or get a new one all together.

• Like 1

So are EBP_A, MAP, & BARO within 1.5 psi KOEO? Is it just me or is the maf @ like 150 when the APP is low. Something is not tracking with those pids could very well be a software issue as others mentioned.

• Like 1

I find that updating the tuner software usually fixes most issues that reset with a key cycle. Most of these guys will not update the tuner before they program the truck. At this point I will usually do a PCM update as well as a tuner update. Charge a couple of hours for your time. These guys never learn.

• Like 1

YOU GUYS ARE FUCKING AWESOME! LOVE THE INFORMATION. CUSTOMER IS GOING TO RETURN TO STOCK & THEN RE DOWNLOAD HIS PROGRAMMER AND THEN SEE WHAT HAPPENS. IF IT DOESNT FIX IT I WILL BE LOOKING AT IT SATURDAY. GOOD NIGHT MY AMIGOS. I WILL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED.

I one thing that I hate the most about 6.4L tuners is 90% of the time they will kick out of KOER due to either a boost performance fault because of the exhaust delete, or they don't like having the RPM commanded up for some reason, and this goes for active commands as well. Makes some diagnosis a pain in the ass when you can't raise the RPM without having your foot on the pedal.

• Like 1

CUSTOMER RETURNED TO STOCK AND DROVE AROUND THE BLOCK AND PROBLEM IS NOW GONE . HE REDOWNLOADED HIS TUNER AND HAS BEEN DRIVING THE TRUCK SINCE SATUDAY(I JUS GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH HIM) WITH NO PROBLEMS .THANK AGAIN ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OKAY CUSTOMER PULLED THE EBP SENSOR & TUBE(LIKE I HAD SUGGESTED IN THE FIRST PLACE) AND THEY WERE PLUGGED UP. CUSTOMER REPLACED EBP SENSOR & TUBE AND IT IS NOW FIXED. ;) THANKS AGAIN.

It does but you do not realize there is a delay in the EBP sensor reading. I recently had a 6.0L mess with me bad. Apparently, the carbon will restrict the boost pressure into, through the tube or into the sensor. My theory is that it causes a delay in showing the boost and likewise, ALSO causes the boost reading to show higher than actual when backpressure is relieved until the pressure can "filter" back out of the tube. This will cause problems with controlling the turbo especially after letting off the accelerator and getting back into it. The PCM sees the higher EBP reading and doesn't move the turbo thinking it's already where it needs to be. If you keep after it and make recordings you may see the PCM do things like open the EGR or pull the turbo closed all the way. On mine, it lacked power at times and then over boosted other times and then totally bogged down and choked on EGR trying to reduce boost by relieving back pressure.

In my case it was causing the same symptoms as you are seeing on this 6.4L but my 6.0L kept setting a MAP/BARO correlation DTC. I did manage to make it set an EBP circuit code after a lengthy and aggressive road test. Unfortunately I missed the plugged fitting on the exhaust manifold. Live and learn!