Exhaust Filter Screen -OCR?

Rate this topic

I have not had the opportunity to look into this yet and I have never seen or heard of it. Someone asked me how to get this to display on the 2011 and newer instrument clusters. It would be a menu option on the gauge screen. Take a look. I assume there is an IDS setting or something or is it buried in the cluster?

FilterScreen.jpg

It is in the Personality Parameters. Enabling the "Forced Regeneration Request" so apparently Ford has snuck this in below our radar. It used to be available only on Chassis Cab models with the base cluster. I still have not checked this out personally so maybe Matt will tinker with it on his truck?

I also looked for SSM, GSM or bulletins @ the truck BB website. Nothing. I would like to see something documenting this, what it can be applied to as far as model years and if a cluster programming update is required.

I'll go check right now

Yup it's there. Like Keith said, under programmable parameters > personality > enable "forced regeneration request." This configures the instrument cluster, no PCM programming involved.

I'll attach a better screenshot

image.jpg

• Like 1

The OCR capability is only available with Instrumentation packs #1 and #2 (two line LED display). Although the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) percentage can be displayed on the 4.2 inch color display, a manual regeneration cannot be performed with this package.

As stated by Hotline.

The OCR capability is only available with Instrumentation packs #1 and #2 (two line LED display). Although the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) percentage can be displayed on the 4.2 inch color display, a manual regeneration cannot be performed with this package.As stated by Hotline.

This is all well and good but, as Matt said, what's the purpose? And, why call it Forced Regeneration Request if that is not what it is. Can anyone find any documentation on this like Bulletins or Messages? It would be nice to have accurate information and instructions if applicable. You know this is already being discussed on the public forums right? How do you think I learned about it?  :haha2: And how long before guys are calling and coming into the dealer asking for and about it?  

We're gonna see here soon. I should be coming up on a regen at any time. I'm at 95% on my exhaust filter message :D

I'm wondering if this is the same as OCR (stationary regen) or if this will be something new, like you can choose when to dynamic regen.

• 4 weeks later...

Last regen I had went in a few miles after "Full" most of my regens will last between 20-25 miles. This one was no different and exhaust filter dropped to 20%. That was a few weeks ago and since then the outside temps have gotten much lower. Today I was at 95% when my truck started a regen, it was exactly 500 miles since my last one which is why I think it went in early. Today however my regen only lasted 16 miles and dropped the filter to 45%. This was the shortest regen I've ever encountered so far, perhaps the ambient temps are a factor.BTW I'm using an edge CTS2 monitor now to watch EGT and DPF pids to get a better idea of how these trucks regen under normal circumstances.

Also there has been one instance on the public message boards where a guy was able to perform an OCR with this update.

AND I enabled OCR on a base instrument cluster earlier this week and under programmable parameters is was now called "forced regeneration request" 

I don't.  Its been possible since 2011. If you meet the conditions then it should give you the option at the bottom of the DPF load cluster screen(assuming IDS has enabled it).

I guess we'll see once this has been done to more than a few trucks.  We know OCR is possible on base instrument cluster trucks and now the programmable parameter is called the same regardless of which instrument cluster is in the vehicle.  I would assume the programming would be the same, there's no foreseeable reason an upgraded instrument cluster wouldn't be able to perform the same function as a base cluster. The manual regen programming is already in all PCMs. 

Obviously under normal circumstances the truck is going to want to attempt a dynamic regen while driving. I don't think you're going to get prompted for a stationary regen unless the DPF is getting pretty plugged up and the truck is not being driven enough.   

I don't.  Its been possible since 2011. If you meet the conditions then it should give you the option at the bottom of the DPF load cluster screen(assuming IDS has enabled it).

Okay, so we are getting conflicting information here?

The OCR capability is only available with Instrumentation packs #1 and #2 (two line LED display). Although the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) percentage can be displayed on the 4.2 inch color display, a manual regeneration cannot be performed with this package.

As stated by Hotline.

Perhaps you could drop a note in the suggestion box at the water cooler at Ford to have someone make a document explaining the addition of this screen and the OCR functionality? I am kind of pissed that I have to learn about this stuff on the Internet in public forums and look like a fucking idiot because I don't have a clue about this and cant find any documentation from ford about it. Nothing. Not a SSM. Nothing. I apologize if I come across as belligerent but it frosts my ass that this happens time and time again.

:whattodo:

I wouldn't say you are necessarily getting conflicting information.  It is possible to enable the DPF screen without the OCR. Maybe that is the way service engineering decided to approach it. I haven't checked to see exactly what the IDS is doing.

I don't mind venting, if I was in a position to make that suggestion I would.  Unfortunately, I only get one suggestion per year and this year my suggestion is for them to give me a raise.

I wish I had a good explanation why you haven't heard anything official. My guess is that this was put into the IDS options on accident and they would rather no one enabled it. It doesn't make much sense to suddenly give you guys the option to enable this when it has been available since day one.