2015 3.2 with code p012f

Rate this topic

I have a 2015 that came in for a check engine light on with code p012f also the exhaust filter is 95% full. The pinpoint test leads to no fault found and I think they may have left the truck running with the block heater plugged in but when I road test and monitor the ect and eot I find ect is not stable. When it is hot ect gets up to around 180 ish and then when you come to a stop it drops to 160 ish with eot still at 190 ish.  I don't have another truck to compare and I am wondering if this is normal, it kind of feels like I might have a restriction in the cooling system but maybe not because it still makes good heat.  What do you think, is this normal?

EOT would be more stable as the cooling system has a thermostat and the oil does not. I would also expect to see the coolant fluctuate slightly because of the thermostat but 20 degrees? And only 180? I don't know the spec but I imagine it should at least be 190 and fluctuate... Higher. Just thinking out load here...

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good. I've had so many bad stats (both new and used) that I boil them in a 1 quart deep fryer to check the temp when they open using a candy thermometer (this takes about 90 seconds). A surprising percentage of new stats open at the wrong temp. This started years back when I got 4 new defective stats in a row- 2 from the FLAPS, two from the OEM on an IH. Boy, did I lean a lesson on that truck......

:(

Well I went on a long road test and found at highway speeds ect gets to around 181 F and eot is 203 F.  I am going to put an engine oil cooler in first and re test, just have to wait 7 to 10 days for the part to come from the USA  :facepalm:

Well I went on a long road test and found at highway speeds ect gets to around 181 F and eot is 203 F.  I am going to put an engine oil cooler in first and re test,   :facepalm:

What makes you think the oil cooler is def?

OBDll theory for a `15 diesel says that typical deferential between EOT & ECT has to exceed 15 degrees celcius or 59 degrees fahrenheit

That's odd- the opposite of the 6.0 ECT/EOT standard(s). Wasn't that 25F revised to 15F?

My query is "long road test and found at highway speeds ect gets to around 181 F and eot is 203 F."

That speaks plainly of a stat that's opening too soon, unless this engine's cooling system has some quirk that I'm not aware of......

:grin:

Hey Mutter, just thinking outside the box here, is there any chance the sensor wiring could be mixed up so EOT and ECT are reversed? I have a hard time believing that the oil could be that hot with that low of a coolant temp . It is winter after all.

OK, that makes more sense.  What you're saying is to set the P012F  the ECT/EOT have to differ by over 59F.  I like those numbers better than the 6.0's 25/15F.  Back to Steve's issue, I think he either has an air pocket or a bad stat......

The customer needed the truck back so I can't do much right now. This is the first and only 3.2 I have worked on so its going to be a good learning experience. I wish I had another one to go for a road test in so I could compare. Bruce, I am going to double check the thermostat when it comes back. I was leaning towards the engine oil cooler because of the hotline recommendations which I know sometimes don't mean much. Who knows maybe I will find it full of casting sand or something like that. Thanks for the tips I will let you know what I find.

• 1 month later...

Well the truck finally came back today, I checked the thermostat in boiling water and found it opens at 185 deg, I checked the pins from the coolant sensor to the pcm and found there are in the correct location. I installed the new engine oil cooler and found no change in how it is acting. I think that because the two sensor are in very different position on the engine this is why the readings looked odd too me. I am too used to 6.0 6.4 where the eot and ect are mounted on top of the engine oil cooler.  Where the 3.2's eot is in the lower block and the ect is in the thermostat housing. What I learned is that I need to look at the whole system and not assume stuff, but is was good to work on and learn where stuff is on this new engine.

Brain fart ect is not in the oil cooler housing on any engine, don't know what I was thinking.

Edited by Steve Mutter