Cracked rear engine cover (2005) Oil leak

Rate this topic

I know this topic was discussed before but I didn't find the info / opinion I was looking for. I have one here that the cover cracked because the branch tube / stc fitting rubbed against it. I don't have the HP oil pump cover removed yet so I don't know if the stc fitting is coming apart. I have intentions of installing the stc bracket repair kit. Is this going to fix the contact froblem or am I going to have to replace the #@#@^&*^&(*%ing branch tube also.

PS.......This truck drove in and had no driveability problems so the fitting shouldn't be leaking now.

There is a hot thread going on right now about the tubes but while you have me, I had two of these come in this year. Both customers came in with an oil leak that had a cracked rear engine cover because the branch tube had either smacked it hard when the SCT fitting failed it rubbed through over a period of time. Both of these trucks ran fine. If you install the bracket with a new SCT fitting you should be fine.

There is a hot thread going on right now about the tubes but while you have me, I had two of these come in this year. Both customers came in with an oil leak that had a cracked rear engine cover because the branch tube had either smacked it hard when the SCT fitting failed it rubbed through over a period of time. Both of these trucks ran fine. If you install the bracket with a new SCT fitting you should be fine.

Kieth have you seen any fitting failure after a shroud Bracket was put on.One of our other dealership was talking to the shop foreman about one that Blew with the Bracket on.The Tk is overloaded all the time and run to death from what I know.No Hot programming or speed boxes LOL.A whopping 210 HP

I found the STC fitting had indeed let go. I temporly installed the new rear cover without the oil pump or stc fitting installed. Lots of clearance on the branch tube! I then installed the pump, stc fitting and kit. My clearance disapeared. I took the cover off again and loosened the hp pump bolts a turn or two. I used my BFH and adjusted the branch tube a little. I tightened everything and I have a little clearance now, not near as much as without the pump or kit installed. I will let you know if it runs.

By the way the hotline email situation sucks. I sent in 2 requests so far just for their thoughts. 36 hrs have passed and not a *^%$# response.

Kieth have you seen any fitting failure after a shroud Bracket was put on.One of our other dealership was talking to the shop foreman about one that Blew with the Bracket on.The Tk is overloaded all the time and run to death from what I know.No Hot programming or speed boxes LOL.A whopping 210 HP

I personally have not seen repeat failures of the fitting but I recall speaking to an engineer before the bracket was released who told me there have been instances where it has. I don't see how the fitting can possibly come apart with the bracket installed. I guess the o-ring can fail though. It is very important to replace BOTH the block and the fitting because separation can damage the metal. It seems to me that the International guys see more problems with the branch tube than the Ford guys. Perhaps the difference with the rear covers has something to do with this?

Never seeing the Tube clearance on the rear cover on the Ford app.I cant really comment.There isnt very much in The International either.As far as the Branch tubes cracking Nobody really knows.International wont say anything if they know about a problem.The theory of the Fitting previously failing bending stuff up then a New fitting was Installed and the tube fails a week later doesnt stick either.I know of only one that fit this bill.We look at the warranty History right off the Bat as do you.And all the rest of these tks Never had been opened up yet.Now turn the Tables Towards Ford with the Headgaskets.International Has Very very few Headgasket problems.I only know of one that has been done at our dealership since late 02.I suspect programmers have alot to do with it on the Fords.But I have heard of stock ones failing too.Internationals programming is way less agressive than Fords too.Hard to say really why on a few the The main issues.

Yeah, I've done probably 15-20 sets of head gaskets and I can say that a very good portion of them were heavy-use trucks.

I actually end up replacing the heads on 90% of them due to warpage.

I had to do a set of heads TWICE on the same truck, actually... a week later I saw it towing a full-size bulldozer around, so no wonder he kept popping them.

I have another "personal use" truck coming in on monday that wiped his head gaskets out, and another possible customer-pay set of head gaskets (which I'm charging 25 hours of labor for) on a lifted-to-!@#!?$! F-350, but I'll be using the Hypermaxx head gasket set with the ARP hardware. I know of guys running that stuff and pushing over 60psi boost without failure yet.

Dave

Well it pretty much spells it out with International programming VS Fords and the Headgasket problems.The ones that come through are dealership are In Med dutie chassis fleet trucks for the most part.They are pounded on and probabley matted to the floor all day.Yet Next to none on headgasket problems.Ford has it stretched too thin with the power.Mainly IF you work the tk hard which is why you buy the thing in the first place for most part Towing and such.The cylinder pressures are just too much for the Stock gaskets and Bolts to handle.Yeah I am guessing a Bit but I think I am pretty much right. Not that is is a Newsflash of the decade or something LOL..Throw a programmer into the mix and it gets worse.