Dorman Garbage

Rate this topic

Customer bought a 6.0 sight unseen not knowing if it ran from an auction. They dragged it home and couldn't get it to crank due to a pos security system. Got it to crank, but it wouldn't start, found only 50 psi on the high pressure oil system. Pulled the ipr out and found a bunch of green rubber in the valve. Also noticed after it sat in the shop overnight that the egr cooler inlet hose was leaking.

Finally got to tear it down today. I am shocked by what the gasket looks like. Even the rubber loop that is supposed to hold the screen down was bloated. I also noticed that all of the gaskets in this oil cooler are very flat.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Couple years back I installed one of Dormans oil coolers, orings between cooler and cover swelled so bad i destroyed the cooler removing it when it leaked, and the green cover gasket was deteriorated and leaking. Dorman between the original install and second replacement had came out with different seals(new cover seal was purple I believe) that shouldnt have that problem. If it were me, if I had to use a Dorman cooler, Id at least get the OE gasket set and toss the seals that Dorman ships with it.

This is a Dorman relay(that another shop installed) on a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee that failed after 2 months... The terminals are not as thick as the OE relay so they/Dorman tilted them in hopes that they would still make proper contact...which did not work...what joke!

Jeep.jpg

BMW window regulators and motors, less than half the Bavarian Money Waster cost.  Put 2 left sides in a 3 series.  They lasted 3 days.

I've noticed Crapa, oh, excuse me Napa, sells the Dorman shyte with their sticker thrown over, as do many other auto parts stores in our area.  One,in particular, an import store locally puts OEM part number stickers for all import makes on Dorman garbage. 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently did a Dorman cooler mess like that. To give Dorman some credit, they paid $1950.00 in parts and labor toward the bill despite being over the one year warranty period.

Still, I hate Dorman.

Fuck Dorman and everything they make.

If my options were fix it with dorman or have a non running vehicle, I'd be on the bus on my way to the shoe store.

My boss insists we use the shit. I would say probably half or better of the dorman parts we use, I end up replacing again. Even their remote/fob cases are fuckin' junk.

• 1 month later...