Daily Observations - Part II

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I no longer talk to customers on the phone and this is why. If they don't have enough understanding of their truck to access the situation and come to their own conclusion as to whether or not they should tow it in to us, then why do they think they are going to understand my questions and give me an informed answer so I can make an informed conclusion as to whether they should tow it or not. 

Oh why, why do stupid Ambulance companies with wheelchair lift vans buy stripper model E vans, with no factory rear air, then have craptermarket shyte put in.

Have a 2008, no a/c, found leak in front, fixed.  Evac, charge with 4 lbs as indicated on aftermarket sticker.  Rear unit proceeds to blow, filling damn van with vapor cloud so thick you couldn't see inside.

Now, to get to it, looks like whole left side interior comes off, all once piece of crummy, Yugo grade, floor to ceiling plastic has to come off as well as a ton of other stuff.  Not even a though to service access. 

Rant over

Note to self... when you shear a radius arm off by hand while trying to remove the nut just go home :banghead:

DTS2.jpg

I didn't.... instead I tried to recover by running an Expedition in & trying to bang out a set of lower ball joints.....Key word is "Bang" if you can't hammer the lowers out just stop & get a complete arm coming. I cut the flange off so I could get enough force on it to press it out, well too much of the aluminum came with, then I had 2 vehicles waiting on parts & the OE arm was in Detroit (Well customer opted to go with an AM lower control arm)

DTS1.jpg

On a side note the purple fuse in the pic is from my house HVAC, first hot day the A/C would not work, the control wires going to the compressor were bare @ shorting out on the air handler case. Found the problem before the residential HVAC guy called me back so....

The number one thing taught by Ford technical training is how to navigate the Service manuals and follow PPT, yet I still keep seeing posts like this.....

Working on a 2013 Super Duty, 135,xxx on the odometer. Has been having constant 4x4 problems. Can't seem to get the big hub seals to maintain a seal. R.F. has had wheel bearing replaced, knuckle replaced, hub seal replaced, and it still is leaking. Any ideas? Thanks

Despite the urge to not respond, I had to....

WSM section 308-07A. There are tools to isolate the source of the leak. Start at PPT K26.

Sometimes I get lucky.....When I noticed what was wrong with this picture I thought the brake job was done. Sometimes I think our job is not so much "Where Waldo" as it is what ALL did Waldo mess up. The red silicone used on the axle shaft to hub seal instead of an o-ring should have sent the alarms going off in my head. :twack:

dts.jpg

Here is the corrected pic :)
dts 1.jpg

image.jpeg

Reason number 1 you should never try to hold on to any firework once it's lit.

A comercial grade 3" mortor never left the tube. The side boards were hardwood and so was the floor board that has the hole in it. It threw the loaded tube next to it 50 yards into the field.

• 2 weeks later...

Disneyland ROCKS!! and being 47 years old, I never get tired of that place. What's even better is watching my daughter dance in Disney's Dance the Magic parade in both Disneyland and California Adventure. Super good time.

It's that time again.....Another PCM reprogramming recall on the 6.7L, another round of telling the same customers, for the 3rd time now, that they don't get the recall because they tuned their truck..... :banghead: , I think I am going to start logging .2 for each one like this. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of 8:15 this morning:

This site has 1283 members of which 803 of them have never even made a single post.

We have 24 members who have over 500 posts.

We have 52 members who have over 200 posts.

We have 75 members who have over 100 posts.

The top 20 posters have a combined post count of 42,479 with an average post count of 2123.95 posts per person.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

One of the questions I get on occasion from customers that I would rather not answer is.."Do you think I can do X job myself/is it very hard"

DTS 2.jpg

Based on the what I now know about the person that put these lug nuts on...The answer is easy... NO

• 4 weeks later...

Had a guy with a duramax pull in off highway today. Fuel spraying all over from the HPP to LH fuel rail line at the rail. Had parts call chevy dealer (across the highway) closest line is in Greeen Bay WI. Guy says I will put electrical tape on it and drive it. Wow, that's high pressure fuel sparying on that hot engine. He then tells me he just had this engine installed. I said that looks to me like they tried to reuse a 1 time use line and it didn't work. I went back to work. Guy comes in little later tells me he has a line being overnighted to my dealer. And he is going to replace it himself in the parking lot. He had called his shop that put engine in, they reuse that line all the time. They also have to replace many of them leaking later. Its an easy job he says. Well at least he isn't trying to drive it.

Plastic pushpins and harness retainers are much nicer to work with when the engine only has 3 hours on it. 

Sadly...you can't remove the right head on a 2016 6.7L with the turbo in place...can't slide the exhaust manifold heat shield out between the manifold and turbo. 

• 2 weeks later...