2005 F150 5.4 3v Codes P0345 and P0349

Rate this topic

aparise72

Ok I have an 05 f150 with the 5.4 I have codes p0345 and p0349. I have load tested all wiring to the cam sensors and the vct solenoids. All test ok. I swapped the sensors side to side and still get the same codes. We replaced the PCM, both cam phaser, and bank #2 VCT solenoid. Hotline told us to check the phasers. I replaced the dorman phasers someone else installed with motorcraft phasers thinking maybe the trigger wheel was goofed up. What in the heck am I missing?

We have seen some stretched timing chains on 5.4 3v engines. Not as common as the ecoboost, but it still happens. Also may want to check base oil pressure when hot in gear with the vehicle not moving, if low, remove a few cam caps to check for scoring. The timing tensioner seals like to blow out causing reduced oil pressure to the cam journals, which then get scored and drop oil pressure even lower which starves the phasers. If you do see scored cam journals and caps you're not going to like the price of new heads, they usually get a long block at my dealer when we find that.

Normally when I've had oil pressure issues I've had noise and or drivability concerns. This truck doesn't misfire buck jerk or make any noises. I'm not saying its not possible though. I think oil pressure test will be next on my list.

If someone has replaced the phasers previously bank 2 is probably out by one tooth. Put #1 on tdc exhaust, and check the position of the  center finger in the group of three fingers on the phaser.  It should be just before the center of the sensor. If you turn the crank 1 turn you can check the position of the bank 1 phaser and see how it compares.

If someone has replaced the phasers previously bank 2 is probably out by one tooth. Put #1 on tdc exhaust, and check the position of the  center finger in the group of three fingers on the phaser.  It should be just before the center of the sensor. If you turn the crank 1 turn you can check the position of the bank 1 phaser and see how it compares.

I like this idea about the camshafts out of time. You can also scope the cam signals - the locator pulse should be completely opposite each other. When you put in Motorcraft phasers if you did them with the poly holding tool then you would have retained any previously incorrect timing.

I also like checking base oil pressure. Drill the top of an 820s filter and install a fitting to work with your gauge of choice - much nicer than going for the oil switch threads.

• Like 2

When they initially did the phazers did they pop the timing cover? I have seen a post on suretrack recently where the crank trigger wheel was installed backwards and it caused these codes. 

I don't know what was done previously. We got this truck from the auction with these codes present. I pushed for them to send it back, but they refused. I am going to get back on this truck today so I will update on what I find out. If the timing were a tooth off wouldn't I have some sort of drivability concern?

They run quite well with the cam one tooth off. I have seen them with the trigger wheel on backwards, they run but poorly with no power. I have also seen them with the crank bolt loose so the trigger wheel can move on the crank. They will run but do weird things like set misfire codes for no reason.

If the timing were a tooth off wouldn't the timing mark be pointing at a link instead of pointing between 2 links? just curious. I remover the the crank pulley to verify the timing. All the timing parks were at the correct angles as shown in the diagram. I know the crank bolt is torqued and the pulley is seated properly.

Well I found my issue. Apparently someone switched the pins in the bank 2 cmp connector. I switched the pins in desperation and my codes don't come back and my vcts are moving now. Someone made my life really difficult! Oh well! Thank you everyone for your help and input it is greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

Aparise72 Nice find on your concern!

To answer your question on timing.

Remember these engines use the length of the chain to determine timing. Anything that affects that like a broken guide will change timing slightly. Those pictures in the shop man. of mark location are very subjective. Unlike an engine that has marks on the head or block.

Tyler Thanks for the Pictures!!