complete fuel system replacement labour time???

Rate this topic

I live on the other side of Canada from Twig. Funny thing is, I am pretty sure the cost of living is higher where he lives. I think the main factor here in Alberta is that there are a of diesel trucks due to the oil industry. 

5years ago I was at 28 bucks an hour flat rate and that was on the high scale for a dealer in AZ.

Thanks for the ideas on time, Im about to go to bat with one of these in our fleet. Got a out of state dealer trying to stick it to us for over $8k. Jokes on them when I pull it out on a wrecker and bring it to my shop to fix in house!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just finished one off. Quoted 17.9 hrs. Done in 14.7. Didn't even remove the EGR cooler, just the right side battery tray. 

Can the high pressure fuel lines that feed the fuel rails be replaced with the egr cooler in place?

Yes they can. Get everything out of the way that overlaps the lines and pull up on the driver side to clear the injector wiring harness on that side. Once you have done that you can turn the line assembly out by pulling the drive side of the line towards you and slip the passenger side out from under the cooler with relative ease. Install the new line in the same way.

But, the EGR cooler is so easy to remove, especially once the intake manifold is removed.  It makes it so much easier to replace the injectors and the lines on the right side.  I can't see how leaving it in place can have any benefit as far as turn around time is concerned.

• Like 1

I agree with you on having the cooler assembly out of the way, I leave it on so I don't have to dick around with forgetting to order seals or possibly breaking the bolts off in the exhaust manifold.

I agree with you on having the cooler assembly out of the way, I leave it on so I don't have to dick around with forgetting to order seals or possibly breaking the bolts off in the exhaust manifold.

Same

• 6 months later...

I noticed Mitchell On-Demand now has a labour time for the fuel contamination repair. 17.4 hours depending on combinations. Currently doing a DEF contamination repair. Decided to remove the EGR cooler this time and leave the inner fenders in place.

• 4 months later...

Just did one, found the new Mitchell labor op for fuel system kit was like 11 hours or something. I had to ask other guys what they were getting.... Everyone said 35 hours. It was hard even making it look like it took me 16 hours. But the writer went with it. Getting screwed by Mitchell is worse then getting screwed by Ford, but knowing other guys are making more on the same job is the absolute worst!

Personally I think 35 hours is flat out robbery. I like to make money but not by screwing people. I have been sticking with oping out repairs using the SLTS and multiplying by 1.5 which I think is not only fair but almost always in line with Alldata for example... maybe a little heavy but it is not robbery. Of course, vehicle age/condition, body and up-fit equipment requires special consideration. I am about to do one of these under warranty. It has been a while since my last so maybe my opinion might change slightly.

Yeah, we are a fleet center so almost everything is upfitted. Lots of boom trucks. And the facility is the dumps. Just a metal building down the street from the main shop. I must walk ten miles a day just to the parts department.

What's really bad, the writer already got the company for $1000 after they ran the truck with def until it died, and told me "let's just flush it out, that usually works" well I can attest to the fact the truck will run for about 3-4 months based on doing this three times, then it needs a fuel system anyways. And one of them he had me do a fuel system that was used somehow. I have no idea where those parts came from.

Actually typing this out makes it seem so much worse than it did at the time, and I thought it was pretty bad at the time....

I don't worry about the guy next to me. That's what going to separate the techs that are trying to be fair to the customer and the ones that are taking advantage of the customer.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, Thetmaxx said:

Just did one, found the new Mitchell labor op for fuel system kit was like 11 hours or something. I had to ask other guys what they were getting.... Everyone said 35 hours. It was hard even making it look like it took me 16 hours. But the writer went with it. Getting screwed by Mitchell is worse then getting screwed by Ford, but knowing other guys are making more on the same job is the absolute worst!

That time of 11.8 hrs ONLY covers the pump and injectors. Below that are times for fuel filters, conditioning module, fuel line cleaning and fuel tank removal. Add that all up and you easily can get 17 HRS, which is more than enough time.

Untitled.png