Having a bugger of a time....

Rate this topic

Trying to get the left front steering knuckle to slide back onto the strut of a 2013 Escape after replacing the wheel bearing. What the hell.....no room to get right under the strut, so I am forced to hit it near the lower ball joint boss. Keeping it lined up with the notch is one thing, finally got it close and noticed the spindle is not true anymore and it rotates rough. In the process of hitting the knuckle I managed to dislodge the bearing and the ABS ring got jammed into the snap ring. The last time I did these the knuckle would slide right back on with very little force. Any tips before I remove the strut and assemble it on the ground?

Fixed: Had to use a chisel to spread open the knuckle, slid right on. I am pretty sure I read somewhere in the WSM that doing that is a no-no. Not sure what they expect us to do.

I have used the chisel method more then once. Not sure if it states in WSM not to do it....So the WSM isn't there only for after all other avenues fail :)

I did see that they make steering knuckle spreaders..looks like a bolt opperated chisle to me.

I've found that a piece of 1/8 inch steel works great as a spreader if the knuckle has the threads cast in it. You just thread the bolt in on the opposite side of the threads and put the steel in the slot and run her in till it's wide enough.

• Like 2

I've found that a piece of 1/8 inch steel works great as a spreader if the knuckle has the threads cast in it. You just thread the bolt in on the opposite side of the threads and put the steel in the slot and run her in till it's wide enough.

Damn...you could do that for coming off and going back on. NICE!  :notworthy:  :thumbup: