Windshield Wipers Coming On By Themselves

Rate this topic

This is on my own truck. A 2016 F-250 6.7 4x4 if it matters. Lately, my windshield wipers like to come on randomly without me turning them on. There is no particular pattern to what sets them off. And no, I don't have rain sensors. And yes, my wiper control switch is in the OFF position when this happens. Sometimes they come on when I start my truck up. The most annoying time was when I was on a long highway drive very recently when it wasn't raining, they kept turning on as if it was on one of the intermittent settings and cycling the switch from OFF to HI speed settings multiple times wouldn't shut them off, And then, it will go for days without issue. Nothing comes up in OASIS and no DTCs when I scanned all the relevant modules. Anybody else heard of this or have a possible fix?

Seen it several times. I've seen it be the multi function switch, sometimes it needed the Steering Column Control Module.   Follow pinpoint test B in  WSM 501-16, it has you watch the pids in SCCM. If one stays on while in off position, it has you change the multifunction switch. If that doesn't fix it, then replace the SCCM( which comes with a multifunction switch anyways).

was going to say exactly the same thing. there is a TSB for edges/mkx/explorers that was just released for intermittent wipers comming on. you can view the pid and all by itself it will switch from "off" to "on". the tsb has you replace the multi function switch.

TSB 15-0061 - Effective Apr 27 2015
Various Vehicles - Windshield Wipers That Continue To Operate In Low Intermittent When The Switch Is In The Off Position

I am thinking that this is really no different than what we have been seeing... just a slightly different symptom.  Also, I have been reading quite a few posts at the Monkey House of a lot of new Super Duties doing this. Must be yet another bad batch.

Interesting. Mine doesn't fall under the build date specified in the article which I guess explains why nothing came up in OASIS. Now, to wait for them to act up again.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for reminding me. A multifunction switch it was for me, for the win. And I was hoping to have my truck have a clean OASIS too, damn.

Thank you for reminding me. A multifunction switch it was for me, for the win. And I was hoping to have my truck have a clean OASIS too, damn.

Could have done it retail ; )