6.7 hydro locking

Rate this topic

I have a 2011 f350 that hydro locks after it sits 20 minutes or longer after being driven. noticed coolant was low topped it off and road tested coolant is low again primary cooling system. after checking found coolant is leaking into number 1 cylinder. Customer has not approved pulling head off to inspect yet.

has anybody had any cracked heads, blown head gaskets or any issues like this ?

Edit your post, you didn't say what number cylinder... and don't forget the EGR cooler is on the primary cooling system. I don't see how coolant could not find its way into the right exhaust manifold...

Had a turbo bearing failure with oil leaking into engine caused the engine to hydrolock. Bent connecting rod #8 . Piston skirt and cylinder wall got damaged. The oil level was really low.

It is number 1 cylinder and yea I know egr cooler uses primary cooling system. I have taken pipes loose from egr cooler and coolant comes out exhaust manifold when bumping over. Customer has given approval to tear down so head will come off tomorrow and then I can tell whats going on.

Thanks

I've had 2 cases where a cylinder head was allowing coolant into the cylinders. 1 was similar to yours and ESP paid to replace both cylinder heads after I had talked with hotline. The other got a long block due to the cylinder walls being rusted and pitted from using coolant. That truck was interesting as it started out with trying to diag a P207F code until it finally got bad enough that I could tell that it was using coolant and it would begin to hydro lock.  On both cases, I could never see a crack in the heads. Hotline just always told me it was due to porous heads.  

• Like 1

Thanks Chad.

I removed head and could not find any cracks in head or bad places on head gasket. Porous heads would explain it. When removed intake/valve cover it looked as though you pored a cup of coolant into number 1 intake port until it ran over into number 2 a little. I had parked it in shop after test drive and applied cap pressure to cooling system and let it set over night so could not have been egr cooler or anything else with coolant only in number 1 cylinder. Thats what I'm thinking anyway.

Oh and by the way ALL 8 exhaust valves are cracked some more than once makes me think the exhaust valves in the other head are cracked also.