Adding Engine Hour Meter

Rate this topic

I have a customer that is over servicing his truck but I cant tell exactly how much so. It is a 2013 F750 Cummins that runs while they work as a stationary vehicle. The oil is as clean as it was when I changed it 300 miles ago and I would think. The truck does not have a factory hour meter and of course, the shitty low level instrument cluster does not have an hour meter.

So, has anybody added one to a truck - stock or aftermarket? Suggestions? Recommendations?

I looked at the wiring diagram... stock gage would be more difficult and expensive than an aftermarket set up so I am not going to recommend that. I should grab my Cummins INSITE and pull the hours from the PCM. Pain in the ass.

Hobbs hour meters have something like a 10-60 volt range for the counting input lead. I have added them to tractors and older trucks by tapping the exciter lead to alternator so the count is done when the charge light goes out. I have not done it on newer models but the last time I checked the exciter lead was still 1-2 V before engine run and 14.5-ish once charging. electric lift pump could be another count lead source.

The meters are $40 range and even cheaper if bought online.

There are some models from some makers with reset so the display is the reset new count but the total stays accessible by pushing a button. I added one of those to a generator not too long ago. Got it at O'Reilly's.

I Put one in my truck when I bought it.

Its a basic Hobbs Unit. I have it hooked to Key up power.

Its a bit noisy in the cab so for a customer I would put under the hood. Cheap and easy to install.

HOBBS.jpg

• Like 1

Grounding thru a universal oil pressure switch is my usual preference on installing aftermarket hourmeters on our equipment if practical.