6.2L And Aftermarket Air Filters

Rate this topic

I don't drive many gas powered trucks so they all seem pretty doggy to me, especially off the line. SO, I have a 2013 F350 with a 6.2L and an AIRADE filter on the end of their tube with the MAF right at the end near the filter. The truck runs fine but starting off or tip-in at higher speeds it get really loud, that "boggy" sound Ford engines make but really loud because of the filter. The engine starts to rev, get loud and bogs then gets quiet and accelerates. It has no codes, passes KOEO and KOER. So before I start chasing my tail I contact the Hot-Line. They agree there is a possibility of the filter creating turbulence that can skew the MAF. They recommended returning the filter and inlet to stock (duh) or comparing to like engines with stock intakes and make recordings to compare MAF voltages and... uhhhg!

I am interested in your thoughts and any experiences like this.

The guy bought it used from a Chevy dealer who (for whatever reason) put the filter on the truck and sold him an aftermarket warranty.  (another story) SO I ask my service advisor to quiz him about the filter who provided the info on its installation and when this drivability concern began. "it's always run like that" he said. He also said that another Ford dealer told him to get rid of the AIRAID first and see how it runs.

Uhhhhhhhgh!  :banghead:  The urge to smack people who waste my time is strong.  :boink:

How about running without the air filter (but with the MAF intact)? Kind of amazing how a little bit of airflow restriction drastically alters performance. Reminds me of an E-450 6.0 brought to us years ago from another shop, expecting me to replace the turbo under warranty. Took me all of five minutes to notice the cheapie Chinese aftermarket air filter (that THEY replaced) had bottomed out out the airflow restriction gauge. Install factory air filter, life is good again. That'll be one hour diag charged RETAIL. I suspect that you have the same scenario.

Had the exact same situation with a Mustang, put the regular stock filter set up back on it and it was as right as rain. The owner just had bought the car so he was more than ok with tossing the "hot air intake" filter setup.

I would start by monitoring load,MAF gs,TP,APP & fuel trims. IAT should drop on acceleration/driving. Also check cam error. And make sure brakes are not dragging.

A lot of Ford gas engine in my experience do not idle/run properly with no air filter, so I am not sure that would be a valid test. As to Brads comment Mustangs and Explorers seem to be some of the more picky Ford products about air filters. OE filter and air intakes are definitely a good idea on any Ford with TAC and the new style MAF sensor/programing that will set that torque calculation error code.

I recall an older F150 doing something very similar that had a cheap aftermarket air filter. Turns out the center cone on the filter came loose and had gotten up close and personal wit the MAF. Under heavy loads it would bog until you let off the throttle, then would cruise fine, until you got back on the throttle. The guy took it away with out us putting a factory filter in it. 

Even if the air cleaner lid is left loose on a 6.2 you can really hear the boggy honk noise on tip in, sometimes accompanied with a MIL for various MAF codes. Lots of trucks show up here from quick lube places with the air cleaners installed incorrectly or left loose.  I can only imagine the noise it makes with an AIRRAID filter installed.