question for the guys up north

Rate this topic

I'm really sick of watching my mechanically sound cars body deteriorate from the salt spray they use on the roads around here. I was wondering what you guys use/suggest for undercoating. I was thinking of making some home made under coating using used engine oil or tar. I've used the stuff out of the can like the 3m or ford under coating but it never seems to hold up. It gets a little expensive reapplying every year and wouldn't mind finding a cheaper/free alternative or more permanent one. thanks

I never thought much of "undercoating" meaning the black stuff that is usually over applied and never completely. Some years ago we used to apply a "rustproofing" substance that applied with a fine spray and mist. That sup can be applied inside of unibody parts, into door panels and into holes in the body by removing rubber plugs. The stuff was almost a waxy feel to it. The cars I bought when I was younger had this stuff applied (by me) and as I recall it was pretty effective. Remember that there is no product that will completely hold off rust. I wish I could remember what that stuff was though. 

And I feel your pain. It seems like the last 5-10 years the road departments started using that brine on the roads and rust is a bigger problem than it used to be. Maybe its just me.

3M body schutz, or if you really want to make future repair/maintenance hell for yourself or another person, have the bottom done with a spray on bedliner, either by a professional shop, or good quality DIY(and Duplicolor is not good, nothing lacquer based)

I'm doing a twice a year coating of fluid film on my new super duty. We'll see how it holds up

Did you find the gallon cans and the sprayer? I bought that from a friend who ordered it, but decided he couldn't deal with the smell of the stuff and sold it to me.

Fluid Film works well but is expensive, I've used motor oil for decades with excellent results. Shoot (used or new) oil from a rustproofing gun or a one quart sandblast gun on the bottom of the vehicle and it will never rust. Park it in the gravel for the first few days as it will drip if you've gone wild.  I used to drill the doors (like the old days) and shoot inside them also, it guarantees salt will never take hold. I've known guys to pop the door panels and put oily rags in the doors for the same purpose. A light spray, especially on fuel/brake lines guarantees them forever.  If you shoot it every November you'll find you only need to do it a few years in a row and the oil seeps in every joint and never needs to be done again.  When I sold my shop 13 years ago it included my 1979 GMC G20 van, which was shot several times with oil years back. The buyer of my shop sold it a couple of years ago, parked it in the front yard and it sold in 1 day at $2500 with very little rust.

A gun like this works well and is about $15.

http://proformproducts.com/userfiles/images/produits/grande/26172.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Undercoating-Gun-for-Spraying-Undercoat-Chip-Guard-Bed-Liner-Sound-Deadener-/142010903308?hash=item2110826b0c:g:1cwAAOSwxndXTn82&item=142010903308&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Ounce-Plastic-Bottle-fits-Universal-Air-Undercoating-Gun-Truck-bed-liner-/201518102516?hash=item2eeb6a37f4:g:JQkAAOxy4dNS2TB7&item=201518102516&vxp=mtr

Good Luck!

:grin:

• Like 2

Bruce does the oil pick up a coating of dirt?

Yes, of course it does. If you'd have seen the bottom of my 30 year Chevy van, you'd not worry about some oily slime.  I'll take that over rust in a heartbeat.

Wax based permanent rust proofing. I use the proform brand, but many others make it as well. Goes on like fluid film, but partially dries to a waxy type material. Cost way less than fluid film, and doesnt smell nearly as bad.

Thanks Bruce for confirming my idea. I've got a couple old 1954 ford customlines and I noticed the trans tunnel and anything else coated in oil didn't rust but of course the rocker panels which didn't get any oil rusted out. Just wanted and good solution to a never ending problem. I would rather it be oily than rusty my self.

• 4 years later...

Hey just wanted to update you guys on how the home-brewed undercoating/rustproofing worked out. So far on the two vehicles the wife and I drive in the winter(2004 Lincoln Navigator/1998 Expedition) have both held up really well thanks to Bruce's idea. I usually reapply once a year and yes it is a little messy, just think ahead a bit. Thanks again Bruce.