4.6L Long Block Install Fiasco

Rate this topic

mchan68

I have a 2007 Town Car in for a retail long block replace. Should be a walk in the park, right? WRONG!! I've encountered just about every possible inconvenience thus far with the install, from the vehicle being equipped with an unkown brand aftermarket intake manifold that does not permit me to use the OEM intake gaskets that come with the new long block, to the main engine harness being hacked by previous techs using zip ties and overlays in a gazillion places, to a previous power steering pump install where the installer didn't install the pulley onto the pump all the way where the pulley is supposed to sit flush with the shaft, to having to clean up the threads on various locations of the NEW block........ and now this, a water pump that sticks out too far on the replacement engine. :banghead:Does anyone know which applications use the "long" pump and which ones use the "short" pump? What are the differences between the two, other than causing a drastic belt misalignment with installing the incorrect one?

ATP and Dorman make those intakes. The ATP seems to come with it's own gaskets, but states it's compatible with OEM gaskets. Can't help with the water pump though.

On the water pump thing, I went through this on a Grand Marquis engine.  The engine came with the wrong pump, and it was a major hassle to get the right pump, and still keep the warranty.  Our Ford parts guy had to go through hoops to get it set up correctly, as the base engine is the same for the year it was "built" for vs what we were putting it in.

Which front cover do you have on the engine? (that's where we went way wrong)

One for a 3 bolt belt tensioner or the single bolt?

The engine we got was built for a 2002, vs the 1998 car we had.  We converted the belt drive to the newer style with new tensioner, idler, water pump and water pump pulley.  The only things we left alone were the p/s pump and alternator.  The short pump was the one that went on the "newer" engine. 

At work, we still have the new 'wrong' pump that came on the engine.  When I return on Monday, I can get the part number off the box of the pump we used.