Do I Throw in a PCM???

Rate this topic

the_twig_187

2013 F-250 (6.2L gas) no crank no start...

Service advance track light on, wrench light on, TPMS light on, service brakes light on.

No communication with the PCM... Code (U0100= BCM lost communication with the PCM)

Checked the 2 power inputs to the PCM (both good)

Checked the 3 ground inputs to the PCM (all good)

Checked the resistance of the MS/CAN network (60 ohms which is within the tolerance spec)

Checked both door scuff plate wiring harness and verified no green rot (which would have shown up in the MS/CAN resistance measurement)

*just want to verify I'm not missing anything before calling a $800 PCM

Does the CEL come on in bulb check? I am guessing you already looked @ GSB G0000094. According to WSM 418-00 the PCM is on the HS-CAN. Just wondering what the result of PPT QA was? Is there ETC data in any of the other modules? Did you look @ PPT AI in the WSM? Sorry more question then answers... so by default @ this time I do not vote to "Throw" the PCM :chinrub2:

Disconnect negative battery and ohm out your HS CAN across the DLC. 60 ohms is what you're after - get that reading and you're correctly seeing both terminating resistors on the network. If you read 120 then (in your circumstance) expect to find either an open HS CAN circuit or a bum PCM. My money is on finding a broken wire. It is almost always a broken wire.

unfortunately I am no longer at the dealership and am currently working for a private company. My resources are limited but I do have access to a snapon solus scan tool and snapon shop-key online. I do not have access to a IDS or the exact ford WSM. The only modules that seem to not communicate are the PCM and TCM

yes that's why I was at the conclusion that there was something internally wrong with the PCM and it was the cause of the PCM/TCM not communicating. We had to send it to a local dealer as the snapon solus scan tool cannot re-program new modules. Gave the tech a breakdown of my diag and finding and just said to take a quick look and see if I missed anything and if not to go ahead and replace the PCM. Got a phone call from the service advisor saying that he was going to overlay the PCM power wire going from the BCM to the PCM and that it would be ready to pick up sometime today... I was certain that I verified that the PCM wakeup power wiring coming from the BCM to the PCM had power and was able to light a test light when back probing (PCM "B" connector pin 35, VT/OG). But I guess we'll see what happens when I get the phone call from the service advisor later on today

So I got the vehicle back from the dealership. The tech said that the ground side of the field coil for the PCM power relay was open and that cuased the no start. This puzzles me because the PCM power relay was the first thing I checked. The PCM grounds the relay and sends power to fuse 33 (VPWR) and fuse 35 (PWR/DIST-BCM). I checked these fuses with the key off (no power on the fuses) and with the key on (power on both sides of the fuses with a test light). I said "ok this proves the relay is functioning correctly" and I moved forward with my diagnosis. very puzzling...

FullSizeRender.jpg