NEW IDS EGR TEST.

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

YES! I have... after being off for ten days, then coming back and getting adjusted. But first, I had to download the IDS update at home and burn it onto a disk because our firewall at work won't let it download. The test is everything you should always have been doing all balled up into one automated test sequence. First, a few static KOEO checks and then several more with the engine running.

SLICK!

I didn't time it but the whole test, which passed on this truck, could not have taken more than two minutes! The truck didn't have any EGR problems, I was just anxious to try out the test. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif No more fumbling through the PCED or your notes for the specs. It's all done for you. I like it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Heres a good one. I knew this valve was stickin but there were no DTC's and the valve passed all of the tests doing it the old way. As a matter of fact, it only failed on the first try using the EGR test in IDS. I repeated the test several times and could not get it to fail but the voltages did vary inside of the green zone. The big red arrow shows the fault.

Posted Image

Today, we had a lack of power concern that we'd normally have gone right to the EGR valve for. But the tech working on it decided to do the new IDS EGR test, and it passed perfectly. Nothing out-of-line, it was a perfect pass. Normal diagnostics led to a Turbo.

So he put one in.

And the problem remained.

Right away he peels the EGR valve out and sure enough, the upper port on the valve is clogged 100% solid with carbon and a good portion of the lower port is clogged too. The valve opens and closes perfectly when commanded but that valve was still completely bunk. It's getting a thorough cleaning and will be tossed in tomorrow.

That EGR test is cool, but it's certainly not foolproof, and on a 6.0 F-series I'd be much more inclined to just pull out the valve for a visual inspection, rather than solely rely on the test to tell me if there's a problem. On an E-van.... yeah gimme the test all day /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dave

Real good point Dave. Sometimes our intuition can help, after all, removing the valve only takes a minute! Any time I have a turbo issue, unless the VGT is absolutely stuck I will pull and check the EGR valve. Remember, the two have to work properly to get along.

• 3 weeks later...

Since most of the concerns I see are intermittent, I think I'll stick with the old way... Some failures seemed to need manipulation to find the glitch....

We all have our pet "first things to check"... could it be that the automated test is designed or destined to have those techs that are always in a hurry to try and convince a customer that "this is normal".

For concerns that are easy to reproduce, this could be the panacea.... I fear that techs unfamiliar with these engines pr new to "dieseldom" might take this test as the "last word" and subject their customer to unecessary repeat visits.... or worse.

Ihad 2 of the same snapshots u had Ford Doctor and both were int. lack power concerns. Anytime i get a lack of power concern, that egr valve ALWAYS gets taken out. Our work went from HPOP fittings, to injectors, now to weird stuff at our shop. Oh and a oil cooler that one of the old timers doesnt understand going bad.( he doesnt understand the 6.0 )