2015 with P04DB

Rate this topic

Anybody have any experience with this DTC (P04DB)? If it matters, it's a 2015 F-250 6.7L with only 20000 miles (32000 kms.) bone stock. Pinpoint test says to replace the CCV sensor which includes the whole assembly with tube. Nothing in OASIS.

Replaced a lot of those Mike. I'm surprised this is your first one. Probably have 3 trucks running around waiting for parts to come in too. They always seems to go on back order.

Quick way do diagnose those is to go into data logger and view the pid with the sensor unplugged. If it reads 5 volts when unplugged the rest of the system is good and the sensor is bad. Most times they are intermittent and the light will go out on it's own.

Would of been better if they stuck with the old design, where the hose was separate. Much easier.

I believe they changed it to reduce leak points. At least the 2017's removed the sensor.

I have replaced a lot of ccv sensors on 14 and now 15 and 16 coming in. I use a heat gun and heat the tube and pull it off the separator and replace just the ccv sensor and hose.

So how do you get away with parts returns? Typically they don't like that. 

I've also replaced a tonne of those oil separators.  But, I did notice last week when I accidentally left an oil cap off of a 6.7, the CEL came on with that code after a short roadtest...  so, that code can set that way also.

• Like 1

I've also replaced a tonne of those oil separators.  But, I did notice last week when I accidentally left an oil cap off of a 6.7, the CEL came on with that code after a short roadtest...  so, that code can set that way also.

Good to know!!! That actually makes sense, since the vehicle in question does get his oil changes done elsewhere.

I have replaced a lot of ccv sensors on 14 and now 15 and 16 coming in. I use a heat gun and heat the tube and pull it off the separator and replace just the ccv sensor and hose.

So how do you get away with parts returns? Typically they don't like that.

I put the old sensor on the new separator put it back in the box and return to parts. No issue yet and I know they have called some in. I would have heard about it if they had bounced the claim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did a 2011 oil separator today for an oil leak. I replaced the gaskets 50k ago, I wanted to replace the whole separator @ that time but it was 3 days away. About 12K later I was still seeing a small oil leak LR of engine was starting wonder if the VC gasket was leaking but it just seemed like the leak was from the CCV. So put dye in it & sure enough the separator was leaking on the firewall side seem. So after I got it off I pressure checked it & sure enough pinhole leak in the seam.

CCV.jpg

Here is what I opted to do about the IQA label

IQA.jpg

• 2 months later...

I had this code a few days ago. What I found was that the ccv reading jumped from about 3.7 volts to about 1.5 volts koeo by lightly touching the sensor connector. Installed a new breather and soldered in a new connector. Reading is stable now.

Don't know how this really works. The pced reference values show it should be around 3.7 volts koeo and koer. I drove it around and my reading stayed at about 3.7 volts, just as the reference value states. I thought that there would be a bigger difference between koeo and koer.

Don't know how this really works. The pced reference values show it should be around 3.7 volts koeo and koer. I drove it around and my reading stayed at about 3.7 volts, just as the reference value states. I thought that there would be a bigger difference between koeo and koer.

Not exactly. If you have more change then you are starting to get blow-by. If my memory serves me right there is only one tube hooked to the valve cover. These engines do not have a positive crankcase ventilation system. Even the one Escape I had with crankcase vent codes didn't have that large of a difference between koeo and koer.

Not exactly. If you have more change then you are starting to get blow-by. If my memory serves me right there is only one tube hooked to the valve cover. These engines do not have a positive crankcase ventilation system. Even the one Escape I had with crankcase vent codes didn't have that large of a difference between koeo and koer.

This code and the crankcase connector sensor have nothing to do with pressure and the signal value should never vary. The sensor is an anti-tampering switch that indicates the ventilation hose is connected. Nothing more. The 3.7V reading is what the PCM wants to see to verify that the tube is connected. Any more or less indicates a disconnected tube, wiring concern or a faulty sensor.

Since this engine does not have an actual filter as does the 6.7L Cummins in the medium duty trucks, there is no need for a crankcase pressure sensor. This is merely an oil separation system and crankcase vent on the 6.7L PSD.