2017 F-450 Flames out exhaust.

Rate this topic

So my manger sent me some videos last night off Facebook from a lady in Alberta with her new Super Duty shooting flames from the exhaust. I haven't been able to find out exactly what happened, but it seems similar to the 6.4 issues. Anybody got any ideas? Pretty obvious raw fuel is getting in the exhaust, but from where?

image.png

image.png

That's kinda what I'm interested in Keith. I'm sure EGT 14 was pegged out. Lots of rumors about customer putting diesel in the DEF tank, but my experience with diesel in DEF tanks is low to no pressure due to swelling of all the rubber seals. I know in the states that the DEF tanks are filled from the factory, is it the same in Canada? Perhaps salesman got mistaken somehow during delivery? Also I haven't seen an injector hung open on 6.7 yet either. Seen plenty of melted pistons and exhaust full of fuel on 6.4's, but have never seen that failure on a 6.7.

The new DEF tanks and pumps on the 2017 may not be as easily damaged by diesel as the prior years. If you read through the posts on the link I posted, most people are more concerned with Ford Canada's response than the fact that the owner may have been to blame for this. 

So curiosity got the best of me and I messaged the lady thru Facebook to get updates as far to what their techs found. This is what she responded... Now I've done more blown CAC tubes on 6.7s than I can count and other than a clogged DPF

I never saw anything serious. It was nice to see the dealer step up and take care of her, but I understand where Ford was coming from in their letter. Also at my dealer if parts were not available for a few months my service director would pull a truck off the lot to get parts off tp repair this one. We did that several times when EGT sensors were on back order.

image.png

Anyone happen to have a glance at the FMC360 open? It is rather interesting.

How does one access that?

Log into fmcdealer homepage.---------->Select Parts & Service tab. Navigate to Customer Satisfaction. ---------->Click on FMC360 under the Customer Assistance Resources menu. ----------->Click on FMC360 and the FMC360 page will appear with a list of open cases for your dealer.

At the top of the page, one can select Search by Contact. Clicking on that link will open up another window that will allow you to search by the four choices, Search By VIN, Search By Name & Zip/Postal Code, Search By Phone Number and Search By Case Number. If you select Search By Case Number, simply enter the case number on the letter that is posted on the Facebook page and you will see all the fancy details of the interaction between the customer and FOMOCO.

This may be a dumb question, but how does the system detect the presence of any other substance, other than DEF the DEF tank? As I understand it, the NOx sensors' readings not reading what they should when DEF is injected, is the only method of detecting contamination is that correct?

Log into fmcdealer homepage.---------->Select Parts & Service tab. Navigate to Customer Satisfaction. ---------->Click on FMC360 under the Customer Assistance Resources menu. ----------->Click on FMC360 and the FMC360 page will appear with a list of open cases for your dealer.

At the top of the page, one can select Search by Contact. Clicking on that link will open up another window that will allow you to search by the four choices, Search By VIN, Search By Name & Zip/Postal Code, Search By Phone Number and Search By Case Number. If you select Search By Case Number, simply enter the case number on the letter that is posted on the Facebook page and you will see all the fancy details of the interaction between the customer and FOMOCO.

I think you have to have a certain job title to get in there. I've tried in the past and I got denied access.

I think you have to have a certain job title to get in there. I've tried in the past and I got denied access.

Yea I just tried looking. You have to be some type of manage or advisor to access FMC 360 in the US. A tech can't access it. I'll get my boss to look it up next week.

Yea I just tried looking. You have to be some type of manage or advisor to access FMC 360 in the US. A tech can't access it. I'll get my boss to look it up next week.

I found a list of the job titles that have access to it. A service writer does, but a tech doesn't. I think that is a little messed up.

Shop foreman is one of the ones who can get in to it which is why some of us can access it while others can't.