My 71 F100

Rate this topic

forddieseldoctor

I bought a 71 F100 a few weeks ago. It needs some carb work and some trans gaskets. I took it for a ride this weekend and noticed it shifts into 2nd at about 10 mph and 3rd at about 20 mph. It's got a 302 with a c4 in it. Is the linkage that goes down to the trans from the throttle adjust the shift points, or is it just a kickdown linkage?

Vacuum modulator valve controls shift points. The carb to trans linkage is kick down only.

Shifts at those speeds w/o regard to throttle application amount?

Look for trans fluid in the modulator line. I have also seen vehicles where the modulator pin was missing. I guess they fell out when someone changed the valve. I can't remember what they did when that happened, it has been a while.....

• 6 months later...

Anyone got any tips for getting a seized disrtibutor loose?

I was trying to adjust timing tonight after playing with the point gap and I can't turn the stupid thing. I had the motor hot and hosed it down with deep creep before I walked away tonight.

I haven't gotten around to looking into the trans yet. Got the carb fixed up and been trying to fix a few minor things so I can drive it around some more.

Anyone got any tips for getting a seized disrtibutor loose?

I was trying to adjust timing tonight after playing with the point gap and I can't turn the stupid thing. I had the motor hot and hosed it down with deep creep before I walked away tonight.

This was common in my salt belt. :( In the past I remember working one until it broke off and attaching a slide hammer to the shaft using a 1/2" compression fitting. I also remember dropping the pan and pump and beating one out from below. :puke:

Good Luck!

Points and timing are set. Carb is rebuilt. It runs down the road really good.

Now to start on the trans. I found the kickdown linkage was hooked to the wrong spot on the carb. I figured out where it was supposed to be and got it hooked up right, but it still don't kick down.

• 4 months later...

I dropped the carrier out of the diff to reseal it. I’m a little confused.... I was told that all the F-series came with 9” back in these years. But according to the tag it’s an 8.7”???

If I look up the part number off the tag it says it’s a 9”.

B89C6585-A137-4EF1-84E3-A76657D9617E.jpeg

If I remember right 9 inch differential ring gears weren't actually 9 inches. The ring gear came in a bunch of different sizes but the carrier is essentially the same with only a couple different variations.

• Like 1