Bolt In Oil Pan

Rate this topic

I have a '12 F-450 that I was doing a oil change on & found this in the drain plug opening. Any body happen to know where this bolt goes. It has what appears to be a 10 mm head with 15mm flange & washer, threads appear to be 8 mm. It also looks to be broke.

Bolt head.jpg

Threads.jpg

Broke.jpg

I also found these shavings inside the drain plug hole, they look polished/filed off.

Shavings.jpg

Thanks Leon,
I looked @ the bolts on the outside of the oil pan yesterday....I was so blinded I did not the notice some of the bolts have different head markings :facepalm:

That head marking matches..
I have some W503296-S437 bolts coming for Monday, no dealers close had them in stock.

So I'm assuming you obviously didn't refill the crankcase with oil and start the engine up at this point? What did you end up doing? Pushing it out of the bay until you get your parts?

Leon was correct, bolt # 13 for the upper oil pan was broke. I also replaced 14 & 10, I did not replace the long bolts because they have to come from MI or another dealer. According to Oasis this truck had 3 Turbo's in 2012-2013 maybe that is were that metal came from??? :shrug:

So is everyone using TA-29 for RTV on the lower? Man the pan was a pain to get loose.

On a side note I have found that diesel fuel works pretty good for softening up RTV.

Bolt #13.jpg

I used this & a left hand drill bit to remove the broke bolt

Ext.jpg

• Like 1

I have never seen one of those break. The torque is too low. That's a puzzler.

By the way, does Leon get a prize? :poke:

If Leon ever stops by my shop to collect his prize he will see a BIG sign that states...Bring all I've nevers here. :cool:

I use TA-31 on everything.

This is what I have also always done or the IH stuff. I use the IH stuff on my building also, I used it to seal up a A/C drain on the west side of my shop & after 5 years in the sun it still looks new.

I did end up using the TA-29 on this job, more as a test then anything.

So I'm assuming you obviously didn't refill the crankcase with oil and start the engine up at this point? What did you end up doing? Pushing it out of the bay until you get your parts?

After I felt there was a high probability Leon was correct I put oil in it and drove it out. I do not see the point of pushing a self propelled object....when I do have to move one around I use a vehicle or this http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/skid-steer-loaders/models/a770/features (I rent it from the neighbors)