They want me to do WHAT???????

Rate this topic

I had a guy I know call me last night. His boss owns an 05 or 06 F350 and an 04 E350 cube van both with a 6.0 in them. The truck was recently totaled out and the guy didn't have collision insurance on it. They want to know if it's possible to pull the motor out of the F350 and put it in the E350 and make it run. And they want me to do it through my dealership. :scratch:
 I highly doubt that my service manger is gonna go for this so I might be trying to tackle this one outside of work.

My question is does anyone happen to know what is all different between these 2 vehicles other than the engine harness, oil filter, ficm mounting, glow plug controller mounting, and the secondary fuel filter?

With the secondary fuel filter, you will need to change over the oil cooler cover along with the items you mentioned. Pay attention to the intake manifold bolt locations  and ensure that the studded one's are in the correct position. I think they are different and I have seen serious harness damage caused by misplaced studs on Econoline applications.

Fuel supply lines, Remote Mounted Oil Filter housing and pipes and upper oil pan, EBP sensor tube.

Good time for a new  cooler. And on that note, perfect time to inspect/replace oil standpipes, STC fitting and the cam sensor mount for rust jacking... leaks of any kind... exhaust manifolds leaks and broken bolts. All super easy to fix with the engine out.  Also make sure that the Econoline oil fill tube adapter will screw into the right valve cover and fix any issues with that before you install the engine.

I don't know/think there are any mechanical differences or sensors between the two that might make a difference where engine calibration would be concerned. Depends on which high pressure oil pump the 2004 had, turbo, EGR cooler and VALVE. And then in the future, looking up base engine parts could be tricky. Just keep all that in mind. Maybe record the engine serial number of the engine that is going in to make life easier.

:coffee:

Great point about the upper oil pan. I never would of thought of that. The motor from the F series had egr cooler and oil cooler replaced within the last year. This was the truck that had the dorman cooler that the ipr valve was packed full of green gasket that I posted on here. I gotta pull the service records tomorrow and see what the cube van had wrong with it.

Also worth mentioning is the lower oil pan is different to mate up with the upper.  The front engine cover from the 05 F-series will not work with any year e-series.  The outlet for the lower rad hose is clocked differently.  The 05+ F-series has an outlet at 3 o'clock.  All e-series have an outlet angled at 4 o'clock.

The high pressure pump differences may not be significant.  I know if I had an 04 engine I would rather have the pump from an 05+. If you are kicking around the idea of putting the 04 pump in the 05 engine remember that the branch tube would need swapped also.  I personally wouldn't go that route

• Like 1

This topic reminds me of one such E-Series I went to look at, for another shop local to me to assist in diagnosis for a no-start concern. I vividly recalled noticing the absence of the oil filter supply and return tubes at the back of the engine the moment I stepped inside the vehicle with the doghouse cover off. Upon closer inspection was when I noticed that someone, somehow managed to swap an engine from an F-Series truck into this vehicle leaving the original oil filter and housing in place. :crazy: 

How the f*ck did they manage to wedge it in there?

Believe it or not, it actually fit in there. You can actually unthread the oil filter cap almost completely just before it touches the underside of the engine compartment. So, I guess it's a permanent non-serviceable oil filter now, unless they want to re & re the engine with every oil change.

If you really don't want to mess around with transferring over the oil filter housing and lines, and they are willing. There is a oil to air cooler set up available that moves the oil filter behind the bumper, or where ever you wish to stick it. It would work slick with this engine swap., and most likely would make future repairs easier as well.