3.7L Timing Chain Idler Failure

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

2015Transit with a 3.7L TiVCT came in with a lack of power and the MIL illuminated. Has a P0017 in the PCM. Performed the pinpoint tests which led to a stuck bank one exhaust cam phaser. Recordings showed normal VCT movement but is was remained around -18 degrees. Got the front cover off and found the idler gear bearing smoked! How hot do you think that got? :haha2:

FKA12937 (1) (Small).JPG

FKA12937 (2) (Small).JPG

FKA12937 (3) (Small).JPG

How did you go about getting at the front cover? Guy next to me has the whole front clip off to get the front cover off a 3.5L Ecoboost Transit. WSM is down so we have no idea if this is how it's listed.

There is PLENTY of room. Once you get the hoses and the water pump off the fan module slips right out the top. I cut a piece of cardboard and put it over the radiator to protect it. Since this is the first time working on this engine for me, I had a little trouble finding all of the cover bolts. Using a mirror helps. At this point I am cleaning off the sealant from the heads and block. PITA!!!

IMG_4837.JPG

Blue Point YA6490A. Says its for GM and Chrysler but it works on Ford 3.5L and 3.7L engines. The same puller is available from OTC for around $70 i am told

OTC 6667

Awesome. Thanks

I had a 3.5 in an edge do that same thing a few years ago. The chain had actually jumped off the teeth and was running out on the end of the pulley, up against the cover. We had no cel, chasing a terrible noise.

Keith how the heck do you keep your hands looking so decent. Mine never look like that.

I use Palmolive dish detergent when I wash the dishes. :haha2:

Actually, I am a frequent user of gloves and being winter time I use hand lotion daily to keep my skin from drying out. I have come to the conclusion that moisturized skin absorbs less oil and grime than dry calloused skin.

How did you go about getting at the front cover? Guy next to me has the whole front clip off to get the front cover off a 3.5L Ecoboost Transit. WSM is down so we have no idea if this is how it's listed.

What is the reason for pulling the front cover off, on yours? I have yet to get inside any engine on a Transit and hope I never have to. It looks tight in there. At least on the F-150s, I can have the cab off in about an hour or less.

I'm pretty sure there is a difference in space between the 3.7L N/A engine versus the 3.5L Ecoboost with all the turbo plumbing in there that needs to be removed for access to the front cover. I've done tons of timing chains on F-150 3.5L Ecoboosts and I don't think I've ever had one timing chain idler failure like the described above. I've seen and repaired LOTS of water pump failures though, on the FWD applications (where the timing chain idler goes on the RWD application engines).

What is the reason for pulling the front cover off, on yours? I have yet to get inside any engine on a Transit and hope I never have to. It looks tight in there. At least on the F-150s, I can have the cab off in about an hour or less.

I'm pretty sure there is a difference in space between the 3.7L N/A engine versus the 3.5L Ecoboost with all the turbo plumbing in there that needs to be removed for access to the front cover. I've done tons of timing chains on F-150 3.5L Ecoboosts and I don't think I've ever had one timing chain idler failure like the described above. I've seen and repaired LOTS of water pump failures though, on the FWD applications (where the timing chain idler goes on the RWD application engines).

I had a 15 or 16 Transit with a 3.7 with 5000 miles that had a locked up motor due to a spun #4 rod bearing. Once I blew the front end off it was gravey to yank it out the front cause there wasn't enough room to slip it forwards to clear the trans with the torque convertor to drop it out thd bottom like the book says. I claimed to have removed the trans to get it out and the claim paid.

I dropped a 3.5L Ecoboost from one of these a while back. Aside from the ducting I don't recall there being much difference from the 3.7L. In fact, after looking at the pictures I took of the engine on the stand I can say it looks identical.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 3.7L is only a slightly bigger bore version of the 3.5L (95mm versus 92mm). It's just like saying the 2.0L is from the same engine family as the 2.3L and 2.5L. Externally, those engines' physical dimensions are virtually identical.