Oil Leaks From Left Side of Engine

Rate this topic

A good customer of ours came in for a Service #2. This vehicle definitely sounds like it has internal base engine issues. It's making almost the exact same rapping sound as one I had apart years ago, where cylinder #8 rod had "s" shaped, causing a piston chunk to be missing along with the cylinder wall gouged. Amazingly enough, that truck drove in like that. I know all too well how the PCM is capable of hiding issues with this engine. It also has some kind of oil leak, just saturating the entire left side of the engine. From what I can see, it's not coming from the turbo crossover tube or any of the CAC boots. Just want some opinions on this. I had thought about possible blow-by getting past the glow plug harness grommets on the left side valve cover. But then if that's the case, why only the left side of the engine?

BTW, this thing already had a drop-in installed at another dealer a couple years ago under warranty, not that it really matters at this point.

If it is blow by it probably does not matter which side it is when a poor fitting, or not stuck glow plug boot or two decides to vent pressure and oil laden vapors. From looking at the pictures something like that or as Bruce mentioned would make sense given the area and distance the oil mess is from the engine.

That was going to be my next step but the customer declined the diagnosis. Word has it he's going to dump it to get into a gasser like a lot of guys seem to be doing as these rat turds on wheels get older.

Good thing I have my gas engine and trans serts to fall back on, the diesel "fad" seems to be ending here as well. ($90,000 price tag is definatly helping that)