Topic: 6.0L Oil Leaks!

Rate this topic

The original 6.0L oil leak poll disappeared, perhaps it was lost in the import process when the new forums were loaded. I thought that it was a really good poll so I am re-posting it. Good thing the old forums are still on the server! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Quote:
I keep reading over and over again that "the dealer replaced my rear main seal for the bell housing leaks" and the posts usually mention several repair attempts to stop an oil leak. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rotz.gif The amusing thing about this is they almost always report that the leak is still not fixed and turns out to be something else after replacing multiple rear seals. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif I personally have yet to see a single rear crank seal leak but that's not to say that it doesn't happen. Just about every possible source of engine oil leaks on a 6.0L PSD shows up at the bell housing sooner or later. Amazing but it's true! So let's try to get to the bottom of this oil leak enigma and collect our own data and come up with the most accurately common sources of oil leaks. Please participate in this two part poll and feel free to post comments as well.

• 1 year later...

I SEE MOST "REAR MAIN SEAL LEAKS" AS CKP/CMP SENSER O-RINGS AND OR BED PLATE SEALS.HAVE FOUND MANY WORRY MARKS ON CRANKCASE TO BED PLATE SURFACES. POOR QUALITY CONTROL MAYBE PERFORMANCE DEVICES.ON THE EARLY 6.0 MOSTLY ICP SENSERS AND GLOWPLUG HARNESSES

I find with most new or non-diesel guys that as soon as they see oil at the bell housing it needs a rear main, I myself have only changed 1 rear main. The rest were either icp or cmp orings. You have to think 7.3, when they have oil at the bell where do you look top and front, to bad that the guys that change the rear mains at my shop don't want to hear it, theres oil at the bell so the seal is leaking. But atleast I get to say I told you so! after they get the tranny out of that 4X4 crusty work truck. Just my 2 cents. By the way im new here. Thanks for the invite

Welcome to the DTS Dave!

Your observations are spot on. What amazes me is that these simple lessons learned by some of us with experience and success in repairing oil leaks on these aging engines like the 7.3L and the 6.0L continue to go ignored by others. All you can do is continue to offer your advice but some guys HAVE to learn the hard way. I will continue to promote the use of tracer dye and effective techniques for using it.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the day I hated doing the Dye Test. However, Now I wont touch an oil leak on anything without seeing Dye first. It pisses some customers off when they have to bring there truck back in a week but at least I know I have found the source of the leak.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny isn't it how some customers get pissed about having to bring the truck back, you would think they'd be happy you're willing to pinpoint the leak rather then just guess at why they have oil spots on their brand new driveway.