5.4l 3v vct lockout kit

Rate this topic

jasondaley

Did you change the lash adjusters as well? I have also see loose spark plugs make noise. I have no experience with vct lock wedges but i think you also may need a pcm tune to keep the check engine light off.

Phaser rattle I typically see as one bank completely falling on its face and not just a valvetrain noise local to one cylinder. It should be pretty easy on a power balance screen and using VCT error pids to confirm faulty phase shifting or just a cam/follower issue. The complaint is noise at operating temp, which is almost always going to be cam phasing.

Sorry to say, but at this point for triton engines with an advanced case of 'phaser knock' they usually get quoted out with a 6006 assy. Chasing the source of low oil pressure to the heads is never fun, especially when most of the time you're dealing with a combination of bad tensioners, chains, phasers, solenoids, cams, heads and sometimes even lash adjusters and the bottom end. There's nothing worse than slapping in phasers and solenoids and six months later is comes back in rattling worse than it was in the first place. It may seem like over repair, but they tend to not come back compared to the piecemeal approach.

I have no experience with the lockout kits. I've looked into them (thought about buying a used 3 valve, went with a used low mileage 2003 2 valve instead) but I've never installed one. Keep in mind that you'll have to install a chip in addition to the lockout itself. Conversely, as long as the solenoids are not mechanically faulty and will remain at 'neutral' then you can simply unplug the solenoids. Most customers who do not want to sink any more money into things typically don't mind the CEL provided that the ticking/driveability goes away.

Cam followers. How does the inside of the engine look? Lack of maintenance? I agree with Tyler, if the engine is all sludged up inside, its probable time for a long block.