2012 F250 6.7 .... starts with remote starter, not with the ignition key

Rate this topic

Odd concern - cranks and fires properly with the (factory) remote starter. Click but no real crank (tries to turn over, sounds like weak batteies) when starting the the key in the igntion.

I fixed it with two new batteries. My question is why would the truck fire all of the time with the remote starter but not with the actual key. Increased electrical demand with the key in the ignition? That doesn't seem likely when most loads are shed during cranking.

I had this exact same concern on 2012 6.7L truck awhile back back as well. Like yours, replacing both batteries repaired mine. On mine, the passenger side battery failed a load by a mile but the driver side battery just barely passed if I recall correctly.

• 4 months later...

we got a 17 in with starter kicking out after second of trying to start has new batteries and if we use a remote starter it cranks just fine. looked at pids and don't see any reason for pcm to quit the cranking

I have a customer as well with this exact concern. We have yet to verify it so we can’t diagnose it really. But this is interesting. I know the guy wants to bring it in again so I’ll have to look at the batts closer for giggles. It does not make sense but if with the remote start there is less load on the batts that could explain it. 

The truck we have this going on is a 17 with under 3k miles and had 6 batteries in it. Concern been ongoing since new. Its good for a little while after batteries put in then back to the concern. Its my coworkers job but I am helping him a lot on it. We have found if charge batteries it starts properly leave the key on to run self tests monitor pids then acts up put jump box on then starts fine. Tried replacing the starter no difference. When the batteries are slightly discharged and concern is acting up we have even put the slightly discharged batteries in like truck and they start that truck fine. We pulled pins out of the bjb put in a different relay and concern is present. (start relay is built in the bjb) The wires from pcm to bjb have been load tested and overlayed and concern still occurs. He has replaced the pcm no difference. The command from pcm to bjb start relay is being interrupted for some reason.

We have tried many other things that I am not recalling at this time. Truck is a pickup that has had the box removed for a service body install. The concern was happening while awaiting the install. So concern was happening before upfit.

• 2 weeks later...