What's In Your Bay - Part VII

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

The diesel work has really dried up lately. I just finish putting a 1.5 in a fusion. It was getting coolant in cyl 3 pulled head gasket was blown and the block was pitted just like the gsb shows. It looks to me like that 1.5 shop manual needs to be changed to be like 1.6 coolant in cyl replace long block.

11 hours ago, tonybullitt said:

The diesel work has really dried up lately. I just finish putting a 1.5 in a fusion. It was getting coolant in cyl 3 pulled head gasket was blown and the block was pitted just like the gsb shows. It looks to me like that 1.5 shop manual needs to be changed to be like 1.6 coolant in cyl replace long block.

I’ll second the lack of diesel work. I finally did my diesel class this morning and the other guy here who has diesel certs did his last week. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really been working on any diesels lately.  We're prepping the trucks for snow right now off and on.

Since I've been here there's been a retired 2010 police explorer outside.  Yesterday they asked me to look at it to see what it would take to fix it up for an office vehicle.   I heard the engine was shot and that's why they parked it, I figured it was a 4.0 but to my surprise it's actually a 4.6.  A late model 4.6 with a bad engine?  Never heard of such a thing.   Started it up and heard a horrible upper end noise coming from what seemed like the right side.  Pulled the RH valvecover and the last #4 intake rocker was seized up and eating into the cam lobe.   I managed to borrow the spring compressor and timing wedge tool from my old dealer and I put a new RH cam and rockers in it this morning.   Under the valve cover was spotless, not a hint of sludge or scoring anywhere except that one rocker/cam lobe.  It runs great now so I get to replace the leaking exhaust manifolds tomorrow.  Then I get to strip the rest of the police stuff out of it and remove the decals.   That should keep me busy for the rest of the week. 

On 10/24/2017 at 9:35 PM, tonybullitt said:

That's pretty cool. I can say that being I am not the one working on it.

I thought that too. Then this rolled in this morning with the guy from the local sheriff department in it. He claims it weighs 19700 lbs as it sits. Which sucks cause there is no way in heck we are ever gonna pick it up for ANYTHING.

8A5D2B27-45FA-4E26-8906-1C6C1C6E94D1.thumb.jpeg.fa8a99bc22af9988bffbf65f44825f50.jpeg

I gotta put a damn 6F55 in a 14 police utility.  It has a bad torque converter shudder but they don't wanna risk a trans repair given all the unknowns with the vehicle (used from texas). I have no idea how I'm gonna get an IDS to program the solenoid body ID. 

I've also got 2 early 2000s super duties here that need front inner axle seals. 

That 6.4 made it farther than the '05 exploder I've got with a 4.0 sohc with a Jas-crapster engine and trans.

400 miles on powertrain.  Bad knock, rattle in lower end of motor, noise in R valve cover, found broken oil spray bar under cover, fixing that.  Test drive, rough idle with random jumping misfire on 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6, low power, crappy shift quality.  (typical of their transmissions)

Whole mess installed by property management company that owns it.  Now I'm married to it.

Also found bad ball joints, front and RR upper, blown rear differential, front diff with blown pinion and side seals. 

144k and such a mess.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:38 PM, Matt Saunoras said:

I gotta put a damn 6F55 in a 14 police utility.  It has a bad torque converter shudder but they don't wanna risk a trans repair given all the unknowns with the vehicle (used from texas). I have no idea how I'm gonna get an IDS to program the solenoid body ID. 

I've also got 2 early 2000s super duties here that need front inner axle seals. 

We program them in for one of the local transmission shops all the time. Most of them will drive enough for them to get them over to us.

Plus I've driven one or two that I've forgotten to program the new body into until I was a few miles away from the shop. The worst thing I had was a harsh shift once it was hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, if I can drive it to my old dealer I'm sure they'll let me program it.  

I know deep down I'm gonna have to purchase my own personal IDS.  I'm trying to justify the cost though.  

Speaking of 4.0's we have an 04 explorer here that the right timing chain busted a hole through the valvecover.  It still runs but not well.  I wouldn't mind putting an engine in but really hope they don't want me to try and fix it 

• 1 month later...

diesel work here has slowed down since I started here 8 years ago. when I started the tech that was doing diesels had them stacked up outside.  he was always 2-3 weeks behind.  he left here this summer because he could not make any hours. I have started to do diesels along with gas engines. just finished my first bed plate reseal.  doing a set of injectors in an 06. 

• 2 weeks later...

My diesel work at the new shop is overflowing. I'm a one man truck shop, so doesn't take long to get backed up.

2016 F-550. Brakes front and rear retail, turbo under warranty for P0234.

2008 F-250 Exhaust leak. Customer had some aftermarket up-pipes installed, someone crossthreaded one of the bolts into the turbo. Just finished drilling the bolt and retapping the threads. I kept breaking the bolt off everytime I welded a nut to it. Also getting a hublock vacuum solenoid.

2007 F-250. Getting a water pump and fan clutch.

2013 F-250. DEF tank heater, radiator, the coolant hose that runs from the oil cooler to the lower radiator hose, and rear brakes.

2012 F-350. Hydro Brake Booster, Program Remote Start and Keys, and the coolant hose from oil cooler to lower radiator hose.

That's the jobs approved that I'm currently working on.

The list to be checked.

2013 F-250 Exhaust system Fluid Fault light on.

2012 F-250 P0087 keeps resetting. Going to pull the PCV and check for metal.

2000 F-350 Customer states driver's side rear wheel moving in and out while driving.

2005 F-450  Customer states engine miss, goes away while driving.

2001 F-450 One of our used trucks, wont start with temps under 60 degrees. Glow Plug relay is working, think I got some glow plugs or harnesses bad. Also injectors are sticking horribly cold, it's probably gonna get quoted injectors, glow plugs, harnesses, and valve cover gaskets.

Had a '01 7.3L with a battery light on intermittent usually only when hot or after extended driving ,no problem with the batteries staying charged. This had been going on for quite some time. I figured since they decided get this truck redone including a new paint job, flat bed, & ect. I may as well diag the battery light. The alternator a/c voltage was jumping around, should have used my Pico to check the ripple instead of my DVOM so I would have the capture. The voltage would drop low & amps would also jump around. Replacing the alternator also fixed the unstable idle. This idle problem would usually any happen hot & after extended idle it was almost like a bad ICP/IPR or HPOP problem.

I normally don't do AM stuff but they wanted me to install the filler neck and they would have bought the kit from Ford. I really didn't feel like dropping the tank to use the Ford kit so I got a filler neck, SS slice some hose from http://www.fillernecksupply.com/. I got the flame resistant expandable webbing & ground from 2 other places. I was able to use the OE hose without cutting it. I don't think it turned out to bad

Filler - Copy.jpg

I also did my first 6.7 starter the other day just like Chad's tip in this post. I was able to get one more start out of the truck, man I don't think I have ever seen a starter melt the bolts

Hot - Copy.jpgStarter - Copy.jpg

• 1 month later...

2017 F250, 6.7L 4885 Km's. Replacing the engine because #2 and #6 (same throw) connecting rod bearings spun and jammed the pistons up into the heads. Poor thing never got to experience it's first oil change.

15 King Ranch 6.7 insurance job. Truck went off road and oil filter was ripped off. Insurance company got a complete from a rollover out of Washington state. Drop it in and go for a drive, goes into limp mode. Get it back, pull a P0087. Find rust and metal in the fuel rail. Price a fuel system... Nope, will send you another used engine so up with the cab again. Second engine shows up with no turbo and nothing covering the opening in the block, see a couple of bolts, dirt and water laying in the opening, lower pan is crushed and a giant hole punched through the upper oil pan. Now waiting on a third engine.

15 F350 with hole in the block and upper oil pan

14 F450 dump with v10, missing with a knock knock knock

17 F550 v10 - up fitter installed auxiliary alternator and ran the battery cable tight against brake lines by the HCU. Rubbed through, arced and burned through the brake line.

05 F350 6.0 with intermittent stall out after driving a while

Another 6.0 for a no start

16 explorer platinum 66 000 km, test driving for a noise on decel and in reverse, grenaded ptu and dumped burnt gear oil and parts all over the parking lot. 17 f-150 3.5 eco, left head off for a plugged oil galley ( 6km after an oil change-- there was something in the new oil filter). 15 f-550, 28 000km, 7800 hrs, so much blowby that it keeps pushing the dipstick out. This truck got its first oil change at 2200hrs, when the oil pressure light came on as the oil had turned solid. Pretty impressive that it made it another 6000 hrs. yes it's retail, warranty was flagged. 98 ranger, 70 000km, no reverse, suspect broken low/reverse band. 17 f-350 platinum, 8200km, (good buddy's truck) test drove for a rhythmic whoosh, whoosh type noise at all speeds, rear diff is full of course silver sludge that used to be oil. 2 -2013 f-150's 3.5 eco's need timing cover resealed for the used car department. It seems like everything I look at lately needs a full days work or more. I can't even remember the lineup of units down we have due to backordered parts right now.

4 hours ago, Keith Browning said:

We needed one and ran into the same roadblocks. Soooo, the tech working on the truck had the parts list from the kit and ordered everything separately. Truck rolled yesterday.

Hmm. I guess it pays to be a pack rat. Speaking of which I think I still have a copy of that hanging in my locker.